Chapter 10 - How To Get Locked In Your Apartment: Step 1

🕷

🕷

The aftermath of the Washington Monument was hectic to say the least; the decathlon team was interviewed, each giving their accounts of what happened; firetrucks and ambulances were blaring their sirens; the police put up blockades around the monument's entrances and exits; and Spider-Man's popularity rose exponentially.

The next day at school was also crazy. The Academic Decathlon team became celebrities almost – people whispering about them, talking to them, giving them pity looks, trying to be extra nice. Everyone got that . . . all except Peter Parker. But he didn't care, he was on a euphoric high after saving his classmates.

"Dude, dude, dude, dude," Ned rushed, joining Peter and Gwen in the halls. "What is it like being famous when nobody knows it's you?"

Peter's grin never wavered. If anything, it widened. "Crazy, dude," he answered.

"It's crazy," Ned breathed out before asking, "Should we tell everyone?"

"No," Peter and Gwen answered together.

"Should I tell everyone?"

"No." Gwen looked at him weirdly.

"No, dude, no, that's not a good idea." Peter shook his head.

"Okay." Ned shrugged it off. "Come on, we'll be late to class."

"I'm not going to class," said Peter.

Gwen shook her head at the boy's stupidity. "You're already in so much trouble for missing the decathlon."

"Guys, listen, I figured it out, right?" Peter said excitedly. "The wing suit guy is stealing from Damage Control. And what he takes from Damage Control, that's how he builds the weapons. So all I gotta do is catch him."

"It's not gonna be that easy," said Gwen.

Ned looked at his best friend with a weird expression. "But we have a Spanish quiz," he said quietly.

"Ned," Peter sighed, "I'm probably never gonna come back here. Mr. Stark is moving the Avengers upstate, so when I bring this guy in-"

"Dude," interrupted Ned, "you want to be a high school dropout?"

"I am so far beyond high school right now," Peter replied. He turned around to walk out the doors, only to find the principal in his suit, blocking the way.

Principal Morita pointed down the hall with his left hand. "Parker, my office."

Peter silently nodded, casting a glance to his two friends down the hall who shrugged in return.

"Let's go," said Ned.

Gwen nodded and bid her friend goodbye before going into her class. She entered the classroom, it already dead silent as they were watching a video on YouTube. Gwen paused in the middle of the screen when the teacher paused it.