Chapter 34: Never Forget Who You Are

Start from the beginning

She smiled. "Far more than mine." She held out her hand to show three coins which she dropped in his hat.

"That's it?" asked Zuko. "You're worth more than that."

"There wasn't much business," she said as she sat down between them leaning against the ostrich horse that was quietly sleeping. "Apparently, a lot of people are out of town this week. They're going to be celebrating Avatar Day in Chin Village in a few days."

Zuko turned his disgusted expression towards her. "Avatar Day?" He sighed. "Great. He's got a whole day just for him," he said wryly.

"Yep," she said. "They hate the Avatar."

"What?!" he asked incredulously.

"They believe Avatar Kyoshi murdered Chin the Great, so every year they burn giant effigies of the Avatars."

He found it unbelievable and was speechless.

"We should go see it," she suggested. "It sounds like something you'd like."

"Will the Avatar be there?" he asked hopefully.

"I certainly hope not," chuckled Iroh.

Zuko was disappointed and put his head down while Iroh held out his hat to a passerby.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?"

The man stopped and tossed a couple coins in the hat making Iroh grin happily.

"This is humiliating," said Zuko angrily. "We're royalty. These people should be giving us whatever we want."

"They will if you ask nicely," said Iroh.

Chiara giggled and lightly patted Zuko's hand, but he just crossed his arms and turned his head away brooding.

They remained in the same spot since the sun was still up, and Iroh continued begging.

As a young woman passed by, he put on a doleful face and held out his hat. "Spare change for a hungry, old man."

"Aww. Here you go." She dropped a coin in.

"The coin is appreciated," said Iroh now grinning, "but not as much as your smile," he added sweetly.

The woman giggled as did Chiara while Zuko just facepalmed disgusted and embarrassed.

After she walked away, a man walked up and stood before them. "How about some entertainment in exchange for a gold piece?" He held up a gold coin.

"We're not performers," said Zuko flatly, his arms still crossed.

"Not professional anyways," said Iroh getting up. He broke out into song. "It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city, they look so pretty."

"Come on," said the man dissatisfied with the performance. "We're talking a gold piece here." He withdrew his broad swords.

Chiara jumped up, and stepping over to Iroh she started singing. Her beautiful voice in song sent a pleasant jolt through Zuko's heart, and he was gaping at her. It seemed like a long time since they last heard her sing during music night on Zuko's ship. Iroh joined in with her.

"And they kiss so sweet that you've really got to meet the girls from Ba Sing Se."

The man laughed as he watched the duet. "What's a pretty young thing like you doing begging for coins with them?" he asked Chiara.

Zuko immediately felt enraged.

Iroh put his arm around her. "This is my daughter," he said proudly.

He pulled out more coins. "I have a few more gold coins if you let me borrow your pretty daughter for the evening," he said.