Chapter 7 - Sudden Desire

Start from the beginning

The lever of the espresso machine slipped from her hands and steam hissed loudly. She jumped in shock and pushed the lever back. Ash snickered, not at all attempting to hide the sound when he turned to the side, taking another sip and making an obvious show of averting his eyes. Before Serena could retort, Dawn entered the kitchen with a loud yawn and blue hair messy like Ash's. When her eyes landed on Serena and the new espresso machine, she dashed over with excitement.

"That's amazing! You can do latte art?" she asked, blue eyes shining.

Serena blushed with embarrassment. "I have some experience here and there from working at this one cafe for some time."

"Could you make me one too?" Dawn pleaded, bouncing on her heels.

Serena nodded and a mocha was served to her with another perfect rosetta that she drank with fascination. When Misty walked into the room, she could tell that she wanted one as well, but didn't want to seem greedy. Serena made her one without her asking. There's a metal shaker involved, espresso, and ice. She poured the contents into a glass, topping it off with a splash of milk that swirled like wisps of smoke.

The glass slid in her direction and she looked surprised for a moment before her face soften with a smile in appreciation. Serena smiled back. "Go ahead."

She doesn't miss the glint in her green eyes, even though she doesn't say anything. Serena already knew her craft was great. There's a satisfied hum in her throat after Misty finished her drink in one sitting with a light blush and a quiet, sheepish, "thank you."

More came along and Serena learned that Gary loves whip cream in his coffee, Cilan could surprisingly be a simple man that loves a simple croissant with his caramel coffee, and Brock enjoys a nice amount of extra syrup for his coffee. From then on, whether she was surrounded by other members or if it was just her and Ash sharing the bar space, it started to feel more and more like home.

"You know," Ash began from his bar stool seat with Serena sitting next to him sipping at her own coffee. "If you keep making everyone's coffee orders so well, they won't let you leave."

She hummed over the rim of the porcelain mug, before smiling over it. She doesn't know how to define this space, a sort of moment in time that only he spends with her, carefree and open. She doesn't want to ask what this is, in fear of what she speaks into existence is only meant to break.

The question isn't asked and instead, Serena leans slightly into Ash's side, her cheek just touching his shoulder. He made no move to shy away from it. There's tresses of her hair that drifted over her eyes as she traced the handle of the coffee mug in a subtle contemplation, unaware of the small smile on his face.

She then whispers into the air, a caress of sincerity. "Who said I ever wanted to go?"

He says nothing, but instead, his shoulder shifted beneath her cheek only to angle closer. They stayed that way for the rest of the morning, and for many more sunrises after.

Days later, the two go through with the routine of training.

"I think you might be ready for your first job," Ash says offhandedly as they stretch their limbs to warm-up in the middle of the training room.

"Think so?" Serena replies.

She flexes her hands in front of her and notes the muscle she's gained. She does feel stronger, but even after the past few months, she hasn't been able to land a hit on him. She can keep up with Dawn's cunning and Misty's strength. However, Ash has always remained ahead of her in all aspects. She swears his speed is inhuman. Although, Serena wouldn't be anything, if she weren't at least ridiculously stubborn. She rolls the thought in her brain before smiling, a challenge thrown at his feet.