Chapter 3

It didn't take long for the people of Melromarc to celebrate the victory of the first wave. The city was full of life, as the castle lit up with celebration. There was a feast, a band, and the gathering of the four heroes.

Aultcray: Thanks to our heroes, the battle was splendidly won. We celebrate their victory. Enjoy yourselves to the fullest!

The people cheered, and glasses clinked. The party was full of chatter, discussing the heroes and their hard work. But, while the heroes enjoyed being bathed in compliments and thanks, Kai was in the shadows. He was looking out at the city while sitting on a window ledge. He had a small cup of water in his hand.

Kai: (Ridiculous. I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the reward.)

Man: And the reports say there were very few casualties.

Woman: We all owe everything to our brave heroes.

Knight leader: I did my part. I stood my ground against a massive monster and fought with dignity as a Royal Knight.

Kai: (Yeah... Right.)

Woman: I'm truly honored to meet you, brave Spear Hero. What about your lover? Do you have one?

Motoyasu: Well I- Um...

Malty: Sir Motoyasu has no time for that.

Woman: Pity. I thought we could spend some time and get to know each other better.

Motoyasu: There is time until the next wave. I suppose talking and sharing facts couldn't hurt.

Like the man he is, Motoyasu was made to be surrounded by noble women. Itsuki and Ren didn't care about the level of attention that Motoyasu was receiving. They simply minded their own business and let people come to them.

Motoyasu: And then I finished one of the wave bosses off with a signature move.

Woman: Oh my, to think that you had such strength.

Motoyasu: It's one of the feats of being the Spear Hero.

Woman: Indeed it is. Sister, we're at a party with the Cardinal Heroes. Have something to drink, you'll feel more lively.

???: I suppose. Wait a moment.

A woman with dark brown hair in a fancy pink dress walked over to a table and got a brand new glass of water. As she was about to go back, she saw Kai staring out into the city in the corner of her eye. She looked him down from head to toe, seeing his armor and katana. She realized he was the one everyone was talking about. The Second Sword Hero. She wondered why he wasn't enjoying the party like everyone else was. Just sitting on a window ledge in the shadows made her curious.

Kai: (So I can teleport to places I've already visited? That will come in handy. It's just like Elden Ring. Only it's not with a Site of Grace.)

He thought to himself as he was looking at his stats. That's something only he was able to his see, no one else was able to see it. Not even Motoyasu and the others.

???: Hello? Excuse me?

Kai: Hmm? What?

???: Oh, pardon me. I saw you sitting here all alone and I couldn't help but be curious. Your sword, your armor, are you by chance the Second Sword Hero?

Kai: I am. I'm Kai Takashi.

???: My name is Larisa Coldam. A pleasure.

Kai: Shouldn't you be indulging yourself in the party?

Larisa: I could be asking the same thing. Why are you in the shadows? You're one of the Cardinal Heroes.

Kai: I despise fancy parties. It's too fancy for my blood.