They were, after all, indeed too ancient.

Jiang Cheng was treated hospitably, in stark contrast to the Mo Household.

Their healers attended to his back wound.

He was dressed in fine, high-quality purple robes.

Even fed with good food.

"This is lotus root and pork rib soup. It is one of my specialties." Jiang Yanli introduced, steadily placing the smoking bowl in front of Jiang Cheng. "Eat up, A-Yu, you must be hungry."

Jiang Cheng's lips trembled.

'A-Jie...'

A lump materialized on his throat.

He took the spoon to taste the meal.

His eyes burned.

He swallowed the liquid dish, along with the lump on his gullet.

'...I missed you so much.'

Jiang Yanli, Jin Zixuan, Jin Ling, and Lan Sizhui joined him at the table, each having their own bowl of soup.

Jiang Cheng was overjoyed at this fleeting moment.

It was as if he had gone back in time:

To his fifteen-year-old self, who only minded his swordplay practice on their Training Field.

To coaching his martial brothers and sisters.

To his golden days with A-Jie and Wei Ying.

To shooting kites at the bank of the Lotus Lake.

With no problems to be concerned about.

No wars.
No massacre.
No catastrophe.

Just them... being...

Happy.

Even though it was only a simple wish, he still couldn't achieve it.

"I'll show Xiaoshuzi to his room." She said after dinner, leaving the round basins to the housekeepers.

Perceiving the words, Jiang Cheng became as rigid as an iron board, his euphoria trumped by perturbation...

"Xiaoshuzi, please come." She walked with long, deliberate steps, elegance and grace on full display.

...And all he could do was to force his person up and move his legs.

Fate seemed to enjoy toying with him.

Jiang Yanli chose an unoccupied room and set her feet inside. Jiang Cheng followed, the door shutting behind him.

Jiang Yanli sat down by the low table, her previously friendly visage fading to a grim and forbidding expression, while Jiang Cheng stood stiffly two meters away.

Jiang Cheng ruminated on how quickly he'd been caught and concluded that Jiang Yanli truly knew him like the back of her hand.

They were blood siblings, after all.

Jiang Yanli asked, impassive, "Do you have nothing to say to me?"

Growing up together, Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng had always loved Wei Ying's song. Jiang Cheng was the one who hummed it almost every day.

A-Ying would constantly tease him for it, telling things like, 'Listening the tune from you, Jiang Cheng, tickles my heartstrings and touches my soul! I hope to hear it from you until we get old!'

After thirteen years, who'd have guessed Jiang Yanli would hear it again, let alone in Dafan Mountain?

It was acceptable if Jiang Cheng refused to admit it to others, but this was something Jiang Yanli knew so very well and nothing Jiang Cheng could talk his way out of.

This was a more difficult test to pass than confronting Zidian.

Jiang Cheng responded earnestly, "I don't know what to say to you."

"You will not repent, as predicted." Jiang Yanli says softly, disappointment palpable.

Jiang Cheng was speechless, "..."

Jiang Yanli threw out a Silencing Talisman, which attached itself to the wall.

"I heard you provoked my Jin Ling, especially Lan Sizhui." Her countenance hardened, very displeased, "You really don't know how to control your tongue, do you?" she expressed, steely.

"'Why is it your Yizhang and not your Fuqin?'"

Jiang Cheng's face instantly stiffened.

"What an excellent rebuke," She chuckled without humor, "so well said." Jiang Yanli clapped, but it was short-lived. "The reason there's so much talk behind Lan Sizhui's back is all because of you."

Jiang Cheng's chest ached, his physiognomy lacing with sadness and guilt.

"You've forgotten the things you've said."

'I know what I'm doing. And I believe I can control it.'

"Forgotten the promises you've made."

'In the future, you'll be the sect leader, and I'll be your subordinate.'

"But don't forget how his parents died."

'A-Ying... is still... waiting for you.'

'A-Cheng... please come home...'

Jiang Cheng's head jerked up. "I didn't forget! I was only..."

'My good Shidi.'

No matter how hard he struggled, he came up short on how to continue after that 'only'.

Jiang Yanli waited for his words.

"..."

Yet, it never came.

Jiang Cheng composed himself, his mind turning rapidly as he tried to think of a way to get out of this situation.

Jiang Yanli stood up, "Stay here and sleep." and left him in cold shoulders.

She hadn't raised her voice once during their private conversation, yet the severity and sharpness did not escape her tone.

All of her words pierced Jiang Cheng's body like a knife, inducing him to bleed and feel flaccid.

Jiang Cheng couldn't sleep that night. For this reason, he vacated his room and strolled freely outside Lotus Pier, just before the docks.

He couldn't help but reminisce the events of the past.