Chapter 15: Cold December

Start from the beginning

It's safe to say I been this way since I was eighteen
The same night I fall in love, I feel it fading
Who can you love, who can you trust now that you're mainstream?
Don't want no love, don't got no trust, I feel me changin' (yeah)
Sometimes I think about my high school sweetheart (oh)
But times change, people change and grow apart

The night came quick and I found myself just walking through the gym wiping down machines with disinfectant and staring at the clock whenever I could.

"Eager to be somewhere, Martie?", James, my boss and trainer, asked as he handed me a weighted jump rope.

I accepted it and shook my head.

"Just in my own head. Thanks for this late night training," I shared but kept it small and with no telling details.

"Come now, sweet girl. I can tell when you need a little talking to."

I placed the cleaner and towel down on the counter before just taking a deep breath.

"I'm just feeling sort of out of place. I wish I could explain more but it's just my mind is all over and I can't even get a moment's rest with all the things I'm picking up."

"Take a deep breath, love."

"I'm sorry," I swiped at a tear that had fallen down. I could feel myself getting that black cloud that usually came before a deep, ugly cry. "I just really need to work out and get out of my head for a little bit. Please..."

He finally nodded giving me a small rub on my shoulder before leading me over to the mats where we usually started stretching and prepping for our workout.

><

I need your all each and every day (oh)
If I can't then I'll fade
And I don't mean to rush
But I easily fall in love (yeah)
Uh, in my head I know that that ain't right
But I believe in first sight, yeah
We can fall in love right here tonight
Run away and be together for life

I chewed on my salad as I sat in the diner reading one of my books for class. I had been waiting for my best friend, Paula, to show up to help quiz me before I went to work. My upcoming test was for 60% of my grade and would determine the end of my semester.

"You always look this good just reading like a little nerd," a familiar voice broke me from my concentration.

I almost threw my hand up to swat off whoever, like it was fly or something bothering me.

"I wish you'd leave me-", I looked up to see Jax standing there dressed in his usual gangster get up except the leather vest. "Oh... what are you doing here, Jax?"

It threw me off guard but only for a second. I glanced around but there wasn't anyone else around, but I could see his motorcycle outside parked by my car.

"A little Birdy told me you were going to be here. Had a ride up for a "charity run" and Chibs decided to call up Paula. Is this okay?"

"It's okay. Don't think you're getting the "Martie Experience" just cause my home girl really crushing on your boy," I rolled my neck, closing my book.

Jax laughed.

"That's what I like about you," Jax said in a serious tone and I rolled my eyes.

"It's not this beautiful body, huh?", I gave him a flirty tone as I put my chin in my palm. "Or this sassy mouth?"

I don't know what came over me as I leaned over and grabbed the bottom of Jax's hoodie and pulled him closer.

"Those are both nice, but you know they're women throwing themselves at me all the time. Porn stars, sweet butts, and crow eaters."

I laughed at his choice of words. The fact that he was a player was something I kind of figured. He was the Prince Charming of his hometown. The Vice President whose father passed and it was a matter of time before he became President himself. He had the charming swagger that all girls could clearly see and him being handsome didn't help either.

"They sound very experienced," I released him and stood up packing my stuff.

"You wanna show me around?"

No more Decembers
Lonely cold Decembers (yeah)
Cold Decembers (yeah)
Lonely cold Decembers, yeah