Chapter 9: My Love

Chapter 9: My Love

We went for a walk after pulling off the heels and slipping on some flip flops. The beach was calling our name so we just went with the flow of the night. It just continued on.

"How was your race last night?", she asked.

I stopped walking and gave her a look.

"I have eyes and ears, baby girl. You or your sister can't do nothing without me knowing," she admitted, throwing her hands up.

"It went well. So the truth..."

"It's more complicated than you think, Martie. I've been running my whole life. First when I was young, my father came home one day and decided to kill my mother. I had been hiding under her bed when he came in and shot her. I saw the life drain from her body as she took her last breath."

The conversation grew darker.

"I couldn't stay in one spot for too long, that's how I met Jessica, my best friend and Sherice's mom. We were in and out of juvie and foster homes until I was old enough to get far away from my father. The first place I found was New York, but he had people there so I moved to California and that's where I found somewhere to hide for the longest. I made enough to lay low and didn't use my real name. I almost forgot who I was and why I was running, I got so damn comfortable."

We stood on the pier just watching the waves crash against the rocks. In the dark of the night, I saw her like a younger version of herself. She had hidden so much from us. And now I knew why...

"That's when I met Clay, your dad," she swiped at the tears that began to fall. "Didn't take long for me to fall for a fucking biker gang member. He gave me the rush that I kept searching for. Not even a year and a half later, I was pregnant with you. He never knew. Some shit went down and I had to go."

"What happened?", I bit my bottom lip in worry for the next words that came from her lips.

"He tried to kill me after I overhead him trying to kill someone. The last thing I wanted to do was run again but I had to. My father, if he ever found me, would kill me or force me to take over. The real reason he killed my mother was because she kept protecting me from becoming the next drug Queenpin."

"What was his name?"

"Jonathan Charles."

"The head of the Black mafia?", I asked with a raised brow.

My mother nodded. She glanced around as if she suddenly realized what she had said. I could understand why she kept all of this hidden but it explained every little detail of our lives. She had old letters and checks addressed to a Louisa Williams in her old possessions but we only knew her as Clarisse St. James.

"So you knew I went to Charming the other day?", I hoped she already knew the answer to that.

"If I knew that then I would have known why you needed to have this conversation," she put a hand over her eyes and shook her head. "Stay away from that town and that man."

"That man is my father..."

"You wouldn't even be here if I stayed, Martie. Be smart about this," she begged me.

I knew she meant well but it had been my dream to meet my father. After I thought he was dead because my mom made me believe he was a ghost or something like a scary story that she didn't want to tell. My mother taught me how to defend myself and protect my sister. She knew me better than this.

[[[ ]]]

"No one move how you move
No one love how you love
It make my fantasies true
Can't no one do what you do
Ain't no one true how you true
Come pretty as they come
But baby, they still ain't you
You're out of my presence but still on my mind"

Getting information out of my mother was hard, but I needed to know who this man truly was. If he was as much of an asshole as she made him out to be, shouldn't I be the judge for myself? I just really wanted the opportunity to have a chance at meeting him.

That's it. That's all. I think...

We went home and gave each other a big hug at our pretty successful night of talking and being mother and daughter. I would love more nights like this but due to my mother's busy schedule and late night rendezvous with rich and powerful men, I barely get to squeeze in a day with her.

"You guys look good," Sherice yelled from the couch as she turned around with a mud mask on her face and a bag of Hot Cheetos in her hand. "Brought me some food back?"

"That's all you want from us?", my mom joked but handed over the styrofoam plate with authentic tacos to my sister. "You know I got you, girl."

"Y'all are too funny. I'm going to bed."

My mom sat down beside Sherice and while she chewed on her food, my mom took the Cheetos and watched the movie playing on the TV. They decided to watch Mean Girls, a late night classic.

I climbed the stairs to go to bed.

What's the point of life if you can't enjoy it?
One of a kind, I can't ignore it
Sippin' c*****, now it's l*** in my toilet
Bad lil' b*tch, she'll be gone by the morning
And even though I had fun
We both know you're not the one
'Cause her lips and her touch, uh
I can't get enough of
No one can do what you do, my love

Like, Comment & Enjoy!