''You won't remember... but the Sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire... famine... suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent... unpredictable... incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure.'' Grace realized why they were put into the Maze, they could be the cure to this.

''But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed... inside harsh environments... where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand... what makes them different... what makes you different.'' All looked at each other before turning back to the screen. ''You may not realize it... but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you will no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us... for me...'' Grace took a step back as in the background of the video, people came in running with guns, shooting the people. She turned around, that must have been what happened here too. ''but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember...'' The woman too a gun, pointing it at her own head. ''Wicked is good.'' Then, she shot herself, the screen became dark. Then, they turned around, seeing a woman laying on the ground in a white suit, that must have been her.

They all started to walk up to her until an alarm went of, opening yet another door. They all turned around, Chuck asking.''Is it over?''

''She said we were important.'' Newt answered back, looking over to Minho. ''What are we supposed to do now?''

''I don't know.'' Thomas answered, ''Let's get out of here.'' 

''No.''

''Gally?'' Teresa placed her hand on Thomas' chest. ''Don't. He's been stung.''

''We can't leave.'' He shook his head with tears in his eyes as Newt pulled Grace behind him. ''We did. Gally, we're out. We're free.''

''Free? You think we're free out there?'' He gestured to the door. ''No. No, there's no escape from this place.'' They all stepped back as Gally pulled out a gun. ''Gally, listen to me. You're not thinking straight. You're not. Now, we can help you. Just put down the gun.'' Grace looked down, seeing Minho's hand tighten around the spear he was holding as Gally looked at them.

''I belong to the maze.''

''Just put down the gun.''

''We all do.'' Minho threw the spear right at Gally, hitting him in the chest as he wheezed. He crumbled to the ground, into the broken glass. Chuck let out a sharp breath. ''Thomas...'' All eyes turned, seeing the blood stain covering his shirt as he fell into Thomas' arms.

''Chuck. Oh, shit. Shit. Look at me, look at me! Oh, shit! Chuck, look at me, all right? I got you, buddy. Just hang on. It's okay.'' He ranted as he held the boy, Minho, Newt and Grace behind him. ''Thomas, Thomas...'' Chuck took the wooden figure out of his pocket, reaching for Thomas. ''No, Chuck. You're gonna give it to them yourself. Remember, I told you that.''

Grace pushed forward, looking at the blood coating through Chuck's clothing. She had never seen a bullet wound and it seemed so much worse and quicker than a stab wound. She pushed her hands onto the wound, blood starting to coat her hands. 

''Take it. Thank you.'' He pushed it into his hand. ''Thank you.''

''No, Chuck, you're gonna get... Chuck.'' His eyes were wet as he turned to Grace. ''Grace do something! Please!'' She stared at the young boy, the bleeding was too intense for her to even try. ''Grace ... help me!''

''Chuck? Hey. Hey, Chuck, come on! Come on, wake up! Damn it! We made it. Come on. I'm sorry! God damn it! Damn it!'' Grace was pulled away by Newt, the boy dragging her away from the young boy, currently dead on the ground, pulling her to her feet, remembering the events of Nick's death. Grace stood with tears in her eyes as she watched Thomas sob over the boy, a hand clasped over her mouth as a latch opened. The bright light startled her for a moment as Thomas still cried and called out for Chuck while they were being dragged away by men dressed in all black. She looked behind her again, watching the men leave both Chuck and Gally there before someone pushed her ahead. ''Run for the copper!'' She did as she was told, as Frypan helped her in.

''You guys all right? Don't worry. You're safe now.'' 

''Relax, kid. Everything is gonna change.'' 

The end of book one is here! Having to let Chuck die under Grace's watch was killing me, especially when Thomas called out for her help and she couldn't do anything. I hope you all did enjoy this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library