Chapter 34 - Nathaniel

Start from the beginning

"You and your sisters though are slightly different. You are not bound to this plane. Willow's offspring give her power. Eve doesn't gain power but stability and focus. Look how much she has changed with just Yagashi by her side. Your sister Mia, she doesn't require direct followers, most of the pleasure houses have some statue of a love goddess in them. They act as conduits, channeling the energy in the air to her. You, my son, your power is mostly maxed out already but instead, you in turn inspire those around you." She smiled and touched his chest where one of his tattoos was located. "They followed you, because you inspired them to do great things, they believed in you. You will need that in the journey ahead."

"Mother, what exactly is coming?" he asked, needing to know the answer to the question on everyone's mind.

"A dark being, a titan created from a time before we were born. He is the unmaker. His desire is to unravel all of creation. But you four have the power within yourselves to stop her."

"Her? You said it was a he." He sat forward and turned his head to look at her. He could see that she was worried. Was she worried for them all, or just him, he wondered. If this was to become a mystical fight, he knew he was in trouble.

"His name is Mel'goth. There have been many names in history for him, most commonly known would be Surtr, bringer of Ragnarok. He has been imprisoned since we discovered him, but his daughter. She is the oncoming storm. You must stop her to prevent... Ragnarok, the end of the world. If she is able to free him, it's all over."

"But how do we stop them?" he asked sincerely. Finally clues were being given but it was still a puzzle.

"I am sorry sweetie, but I can't give you all the answers. Some things need to be figured out on your own. The four of you need to come together as a family to do this...not rush in individually. We are out of time though, I want to see more of you and Mia and Eve. Meditation is the key. Show them the way and you all can visit me whenever. I love you my son."

She was enveloped in a blinding light that consumed all of his vision. His eyes squinted against the whiteness before color started to appear once again. Before he realized what was going on, the light was moving side to side. Things began to take form and he could tell he was staring at the ceiling of his room. The light was from a pen light being waved back and forth. Mia was startled when Nathaniel sat up quickly. "What happened, how did I get here?"

Mia placed her hand on his chest and gently pushed him back. "Easy little brother, you suffered a dislocated knee and a severe concussion with possible hemorrhage. The sun is doing its job though, your knee is almost healed but the concussion is healing slower. You need to rest."

He laid back down gently and rested his head on the pillow. "You called me brother," he said softly as he looked at her. He could see that her expression was softer than normal. Was it her doctor's face or was she genuinely concerned for him, he wondered.

"A momentary slip, don't get used to it Nate. He fucked you up pretty good, he's been in his room the whole day crying. He knows he messed up."

"He's a good kid, it was an accident. I should have stopped when I could see him getting frustrated. I didn't expect... well whatever he did." he said quietly and sighed a little. He could feel his head throbbing slightly and his knee felt tight. "Mia, I saw our mother."

Mia froze and stiffened at the revelation. "Our mother? She reached out to you?"

"Yeah and she told me how we can contact her. She also told me a bit about what's coming. It's name is Mel'goth and his daughter is the one trying to free him."

She nodded slightly and stood up, "I'll let Hisoka and Eve do some research. She couldn't tell you where this girl is?"

He sighed softly, "She said this is a fight that we can not rush into. We have to prepare ourselves, get stronger, and when the time is right, we as a family will strike."

"I hate the long game bullshit but perhaps she's right." She was gathering her things and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Just relax, I have to go to work. I will tell Kino you are awake before I leave." He watched her leave before he could say anything. He laid there and before too long, there was a soft tap at the door.

"Come in" he said and then the door opened slowly. Yoshino poked his head in and stood there quietly. "Yoshi, come over here kiddo. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you."

The boy walked over slowly and wiped the tears from his eyes. "I'm sorry Nathaniel."

He sighed softly to himself and looked at the boy with soft caring eyes. "Don't apologize Yoshi. It happened and we can't change that. When I am strong enough, we will continue. Do not dwell on it kiddo, learn from it. Don't let anger and frustration take hold in the heat of a fight."

"Like in that movie Star something with the light and dark force?"

Nathaniel chuckled and smiled at him. "Yeah, like the movie. Focus and staying clear headed will help you in a fight and allow you to do amazing things. Losing yourself to anger will make you careless and clumsy. There's something to be learned from the concept of those movies. They are based on Monks and the balance of chi could help you. You might have been too scared and timid before Yoshi but you have a strong potential if you focus." He sighed slightly and looked to the ceiling in thought. "Go get some rest kid and don't dwell on what happened."

The boy had left, leaving him alone in a peaceful silence. It was the silence he enjoyed the most but also found foreign compared to the sounds of the dungeons. He fell asleep and was unaware he had several visitors throughout the night. His daughters took time sitting with him before being sent off to bed by Kino. She sat beside his bed watching him gently. Occasionally she would read his aura to see if he was still healing. She felt sorry and sadness towards him and the suffering he had been through and still seemed to be still enduring.