🌸 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟚 🌊

After downing the mystery liquid in one go (It really was terrible) he followed Y/N out of the room and down the hallways like a lost puppy following his master. On the way, he noted how although the weathered down walls were devoid of any paintings or decorations, the light from the lit lanterns and sun from outside cast them in a cozy glow. Upon closer inspection, he noticed random heaps of clothing and carved wooden toys thrown around the floor. Y/N would always stop to silently pick them up, eventually dropping the clothing in a woven basket and the toys in a large wooden box. They then continued on their way, into the living room, where Y/N set out a plate of fried tempura and a bowl of hot noodles, which he gladly accepted. They- or rather he- ate in silence, but it didn't seem awkward. He thought that having someone watch him while he ate would be weird, but instead, it was like there was a warmth emitting from Y/N. Her presence alone seemed to calm him down, somehow. Or maybe he was just too immersed in the food to care. It was good. Food was good.

After he finished, he set the fork (thank god it wasn't chopsticks) down on the table and bowed his head in thanks. "Thank you for the food," He muttered. Y/N grinned. "Oh, you're welcome! It wasn't much trouble though. Mitsuha and Taki don't eat much anyway, so I happened to have leftovers." Childe paused. "Mitsuha... Taki?" Y/N smiled softly, her eyes glowing with love and adoration as she looked downcast at her palms. "...My younger siblings," She explained. "Twins. They're all I have left. My parents both passed away a long time ago." He blinked. Ah. "I'm sorry." He said quietly. Y/N tilted her head. "You don't have to apologize. After all, it isn't like you're responsible for their deaths. And I'm over it now. Like I said, it was a long time ago." She continued to smile warmly at him, but for the first time, her expression showed hints of sadness. He quietly chatised himself for inquiring further. Now whatever peaceful atmosphere they had was ruined by discomfort. A small voice from the doorway broke the silence. "...Sister?"

They both turned to the source of the noise, to see a young girl peek out from around the door frame. She had her hair down, with a bright red braided cord holding it in a half up hairstyle. Close behind her followed a boy with roughly cropped hair, staring at him with his eyes narrowed in suspicion. Neither of them could be older than five years old. "Y/N? Who is this guy?" The girl asked. "Oh I know! Is this the guy you found yesterday? I thought he was dead!" The boy spoke up. Y/N laughed, standing up from her kneeling position. "Settle down you two, we have a guest... This is Ajax." She turned towards him and beckoned him to come closer, and he hastily got to his feet and waved awkwardly. "Ajax, this is Mitsuha," Y/N gently pushed the little girl forward. "And this is Taki." The boy. So this was her siblings. "Mitsuha, Taki, Ajax was hurt really badly, so he'll be staying with us until he gets better. I want you guys to get along, okay? So no pranks, and I mean none. I'm talking to you Taki," She said, speaking directly to the boy- who just pouted and nodded reluctantly.

"Now," Y/N continued, straightening. "I'm going to go do the laundry. You two must remember to put your clothes back in the hamper from now on, alright? You need to start cleaning after yourselves!" The children nodded simultaneously. "Okay!" "We'll do that sister!" Y/N smiled at Childe. "Make yourself at home," She said to him. Then she left, disappearing into the corridor once more. Leaving him alone with two children staring up at him with curious eyes.

He'd almost forgotten what it was like to be in close proximity with young children- it made him want to visit home more often. At work, he really only saw youth from a distance- going about they're day with their parents, or just wandering aimlessly around Liyue Harbor. Playing tag, eating snacks, trading toys and trinkets... roleplaying as their heroes with wooden swords and paper costumes. It was a gift- a blessing to be young. To be so free. And naive. So breakable. Innocence could easily be corrupted, he found, especially with his case. It was the least he could do to preserve Teucer's- at least a little longer- by keeping him in the dark about his true profession. Not that it mattered. He had figured it out on his own, after the war ended.

~🌸🌊~

"I don't trust you," Taki said bluntly, a while after Y/N had left the room. He continued to stare up at him judgementally. "Mitsuha thinks you might be a nice person, but I don't. No one goes up these mountains anyway. What are you doing here in the first place? Stalking my sister?" Childe looks at him with his mouth slightly agape, surprised that the kid even had the courage to speak up to him- he knew he could be rather intimidating. Grown men shook in fear at the mere thought of him. "No- Of course not! Why would you think I would do that?" He said exasperatedly. "I just met your sister yesterday!" Taki was still suspicious. "It doesn't take long to get attached to someone," He replied. "Especially to my sister. Everyone loves her. All the older boys in town want to marry her." Childe frowned, squatting down so he was the same height as him. "Really?' Mitsuha grabbed onto Taki's sleeve, nodding slowly. "Yup. That's why it's my job to protect her from stinky meanies like you." Taki replied, puffing out his chest in pride. Childe couldn't help but laugh at the gesture. "You really are brave, aren't you? And you must love your sister very much."

Taki nodded, his eyes shining. "Sister is the best. She takes care of us all the time. She never yells at us, for anything. Unless one of us gets hurt. So we're always careful so she doesn't get sad." Childe thought for a moment. It was kind of heart warming to see such devotion to an older sibling. It had been a while since he'd experienced this kind of feeling in his chest. Oh, how much he missed home. After this, maybe he would pay a visit to his homeland. "Tell you what," Childe said. "If I agree to help you protect your sister from the bad men," He internally cringed at the language. "Then we also get along in front of Y/N." Taki hesitated. As her brother was speaking, Mitsuha finally spoke up. She reminded him of a rabbit, shy and timid. "But- what do you get from the deal, mister?" She asked curiously. Childe grinned at her. "Your cooperation," He said simply.

"Fine," Taki said. "Ok. I agree. But first-" He pointed to the half finished plate of tempura on the table, still warm after being reheated. "Give the rest of the shrimp to us. We didn't eat a lot this morning because we thought Y/N would eat it. We didn't think she would give it to you." It didn't take a genius to find the insult laid in the boy's words. These kids were smarter than they looked. Sighing, he reached over, grabbed the plate, and held it out to the both of them. Taki took one, and handed the last two to Mitsuha, whose eyes lit up like fireflies. "t-Thank you..." She stuttered, taking a bite into one, a happy smile taking over her features. Childe noticed the careful look Taki was giving his sister, the boy nodding in satisfaction at her expression. Taki finished his own tempura in two bites, then turned to him. "Ok Mr. Ajax. Truce?" He held out his hand, a serious look looking out of place on his youthful features. Childe smirked. "Truce." The two shook on it, sealing the deal.

And thus, began his 5 week journey of recovery in the L/N mansion.

~🌸🌊~