"Out!" Alby sat up as he yelled, his voice cracking with the strain of it. He scooted himself back to
lean against the headboard again. "Get out!" Newt's face sank in obvious hurt.

''Newt ... let's just go.'' Then, after a long, tense moment, Newt stood from his chair and grabbed Grace's hand, walking over to the door, opened it. 

"Don't expect me to kiss your butt when you come sayin' sorry," he said, then stepped into the hallway. "Close the door!" Alby shouted, one final insult. Newt obeyed, slamming it shut.

Grace pulled him into a hug, seeing the hurt expression on his face. Her arms wrapped around his neck, letting his head rest on her shoulder while his arms were slummed next to him. ''Hey, it's just the Changing, I've seen it before, it makes you say and do weird things.'' 

''Yeah ... I guess you're right, but ... doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.'' She pecked his cheek as she grabbed his hands. ''I know, don't worry, he'll be back to his old self when the Changing is over.'' 

"Newt!" The two of them turned to each other, hearing Thomas' voice coming from the hut "Newt, get in here!" The door was flung open before he'd finished his last sentence.
Newt ran to Alby and grabbed him by the shoulders, pushing with his whole body to pin the convulsing boy to the bed. 

"Grab his legs!" Thomas moved forward, but Alby's legs kicked and flailed out, making it impossible to get any closer. His foot hit Thomas in the jaw; a lance of pain shot through his whole skull. He stumbled backward again, rubbing the sore spot.

Grace jumped forward, sitting on top of Alby's body, pinning his body to the bed with all her strength. Thomas tried to help Newt as the Brit put a knee on one of Alby's shoulders, then grabbed at Alby's hands, still clasped around his own neck in a chokehold.

"Let go!" Newt yelled as he tugged. "You're bloody killin' yourself!" His legs were jerking up and down, occasionally hitting the girl in the chest or face as she groaned in pain, her veins popping out of her hands which she was using to keep his legs down. 

She turned to see Newt finally being able to pry Alby's hands away, pushing them against his chest. Alby's whole body jerked a couple of times, his midsection thrusting up and away from the bed. Then, slowly, he calmed, and a few seconds later he lay still, his breath evening; his eyes glazed over.

Grace stayed in her position, looking at Newt for the order to move. After a full minute
he slowly let go of Alby's hands. Then another minute before he pulled his knee back and stood up.

Newt nodded at Grace, helping her down from the bed, panting as she brushed her hair away with her hand. Alby looked up, eyes droopy, as if he was on the edge of slipping into a deep sleep. "I'm sorry, Newt,"

he whispered. "Don't know what happened. It was like ... something was controlling my body. I'm sorry...." Grace sighed, looking over to the other two who had never seen the Changing in action, Thomas turning to her with wide eyes. ''Is it always like this?''

She gave a soft nod as Newt replied to Alby ''Sorries, nothin', You were trying to bloody kill yourself."

"Wasn't me, I swear," Alby murmured. Newt threw his hands up. "What do you mean it wasn't you?" he asked.

"I don't know.... It ... it wasn't me." Alby looked just as confused as Thomas and Newt. 
But Newt seemed to think it wasn't worth trying to figure out. At least at the moment. He grabbed the blankets that had fallen off the bed in Alby's struggle and pulled them atop the sick boy. "Get your butt to sleep and we'll talk about it later." He patted him on the head, then added, "You're messed up, shank."

But Alby was already drifting off, nodding slightly as his eyes closed. Newt turned to Thomas, gesturing to the door. He turned to Grace, his facial expression saying enough. 

''I've got it, you two go.'' 

Then, just as they stepped through the doorway, Alby mumbled something from his bed. They all stopped in their tracks. "What?" Newt asked. Alby opened his eyes for a brief moment, then repeated what he'd said, a little more loudly. "Be careful with the new girl." Then his eyes slid shut.

"Let's go," Newt whispered.

"And Newt?" Alby called again from the bed, not bothering to open his eyes.

"Yeah?"

"Protect the Maps." Alby rolled over, his back telling them he'd finally finished speaking.
Both boys left the room and softly closed the door. 

This was a long one to show how the Changing actually affects people and I really liked this one in the books, so I added Grace to it! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library