That Unwanted Mistake

Start from the beginning

Captain Tanmay Srivastav walked out as the next batter.

"Rohan!! It's not the time to think about the run out or Virat's reaction!!! It was a mistake and Virat knows that too!! So stop worrying about that and focus on match please!!"

He instructed amd Rohan nodded absent-mindly. They both began to play and by the end of the 1st innings, Delhi scored 330 runs, with Rohan remaining not out on 175 and Tanmay scoring a 110 runs!! After the first innings, Rohan walked back to the dressing room and went straight towards Virat...ignoring the congratulations he's receiving. He found Virat silently sitting in the dressing room and Vishal saying something to him...before Rohan could go and talk with Virat...he saw Virat standing up and saying something fumingly to Vishal...before going back to the field and vishal running behind stop him. Rohan shook his head in disappointment and went to drink some water.

Delhi team ended up winning the match by 110 runs, with Vishal taking 6 wickets by giving just 30 runs. After the match...everyone gathered around their coach...who was instructing them to the U19 selectors of BCCI...after sometimes, the chief selector began to speak.

"Good afternoon boys.....as you all know...we, the U19 selectors of the board of cricket control India....are here...to pick some players for the upcoming England tour squad....we're selecting talented young players from all over the country, so we can make a strong team for the upcoming U19 world cup....we're sending a team of 30 players to England...and don't worry...we're going to give you enough chances....to show your skills..so we can choose the bests among them for the world cup....so The 5 players we're selecting from both the team are: Delhi team Captain Tanmay Srivastav, Vice Captain Vishal Roy Kapoor, Karnataka wicket keeper Ashish mishra, bowler K.S Subham and..."

Chief selector stopped for a moment and then continued.

"We had a great debate on the 5th player, we're going to select. Both of the players we had in our minds are surely exceptionally talented...but sadly, we had to pick only one of them....and we can only hope that we made the right choice...."

Virat crossed his fingers and looked hopefully as the head selector continued.

"The 5th player is....Delhi star batsman Rohan Agrawal!!!"

And with that....Virat's hopefull expression slowly turned into a sad, painful one. He looked down, in an attempt to prevent anyone seeing the brimming tears in his eyes. After sometimes, everyone began leave the place...some happy faces, who got selected and some sad ones, who couldn't be able to make it....but Virat didn't moved from his place, even a bit....he kept standing at his place...trying to stop himself from breaking down....until he heard a voice.

"Virat!!!"

Hearing this familiar tone, Virat hurriedly wiped his tears and smiled.

"Yeah....yeah...I'm fine...Rohan!! Woh...i was just waiting to congratulate you!! I know for sure....you'll make us proud....All the best for the tour!!!"

Rohan looked at his friend sympathetically.

"You know you can't lie to me, Virat!! I know that you're upset for not getting selected....I'm so sorry about that...i know...how much hardwork you've done...to reach at this place...but you don't need to worry!! This was the first of the many chances...you're going to get. Don't lose hope Virat...someday you're going to make it to the national team too!!! I believe you Virat!!! Just don't lose hope!!! Keep trying....you'll get success too!!!"

Rohan tried to comfort Virat in a assuring tone. But instead of feeling touched by Rohan's gesture....Virat felt betrayed and humiliated. Suddenly he remembered what Vishal said to him earlier.