Chapter ten: The beginning of the end

Začít od začátku

''Light 'em up!'' Grace stood next to Clint as they heard Alby shout at the keepers as the cheering began. ''Gladers! Gladers! Gladers!'' Grace smiled as she cheered with them. Minho came up to them, passing each of them a glass as they all threw it back, Grace wiping her mouth, just like Jeff did. 

The bonfire was always a thrill, it was one of the few moments that they were able to relax in the maze. Few Gladers made music on self-made hand-drums, Gally and some builders wrestled and others just talked or danced.

Newt had thrown his arms around Grace, the couple laughing in delight as she leaned against his frame, both of them raising their glasses with a couple of other Gladers. ''To the Gladers!'' 

Grace had lost Newt through the night, but found him sitting by a log with the Greenie, oblivious to the girl's staring at his back. She sat with Minho during that time, the two of them laughing while joking around with each other, Grace stealing a piece of bacon from his plate when she saw Newt and the Greenie watching them. She smiled as she gave a wave to Newt, who smiled at her while raising his glass. 

''Hey Grace! Come over here!'' She frowned as she quickly pushed the last piece of bacon into her mouth, going up to Clint and Jeff. ''I've got a surprise for you.'' Clint's smirk revealed all as she stuck her hand out. ''Don't you shucking dare Clint!'' 

Both Medjacks began to run up to the girl while she ran away, going into Newts direction as she yelled out to the other two. ''I will make both of you take all of my shifts, I swear!'' She ended up just behind him, holding him in order to shield herself from the boys with the spider. ''And our Medjacks, Clint, Jeff and Grace.'' 

''You're not even helping me?'' He chuckled before Clint opened his hands, ''what were you running from Grace?'' Her eyes grew wide before pushing past Newt, hitting both of them on their arms as they laughed. ''I hate you, I hate you.'' Newt pulled her away with a smile, turning her around. ''They spend most of their time bandaging up the slicers.'' Grace chuckled as the other two Medjacks walked away, Grace leaning against Newt while his arm went around her neck. ''What if I want to be a runner?'' She scoffed as she shook her head at the Greenie. ''Have you listened to a word I've just said? No one wants to be a runner. And, besides, you gotta get chosen.'' 

''Chosen by who?'' Grace quickly stepped away when Gally's opponent came crashing into Thomas' back, making Gally look at him. ''What do you say, Greenie? Wanna see what you're made of?''

''Greenie! Greenie! Greenie!'' They all started cheering for him as Grace took his glass from him, holding it in her hand while softly pushing his back. ''Go on, Greenie.'' 

''Okay. All right. The rules are simple, Greenie. I try to push you out of the circle... you try to last more than five seconds.''

''Take it easy on the Greenie, Gally.'' The group laughed as Gally got in his stance.

''Ready?'' He was pushed into two builders, who quickly pushed him back in before he was harshly pushed into the sand by the builder. ''Come on, Greenie. We're not done yet.''

''Stop calling me Greenie.'' He spoke as he got back on his feet, pushing the sand of his body.

''Stop calling you that? What do you wanna be called? Shank?'' The boys laughed, even Chuck. ''What do you think, boys? Does he look like a Shank?'' After some back and forth, Gally had pushed the Greenie back into the sand, the crowd around them cheering. ''You know what? I think I've settled on Shank.'' The Greenie charged at Gally, holding him around the waist before pushing him to the ground. ''There you go, Greenie!''

''Not bad for a Greenie, huh?'' He got cocky and so, Gally swept his feet from under his body, resulting in the Greenie landing on his head harsly, groans and 'ooh's' went through the crowd as Grace shook her head, Gally was at least one head taller than the Greenie, did he really expect to beat him?

''Hey! Thomas! I remember my name. I'm Thomas!''

''Thomas!'' Alby pointed at him as the boys started to cheer, meanwhile, Grace stepped forward, patting him on his shoulder and giving him his drink back, ''welcome home Thomas.'' he took a big swing of the drink while Gally came up to him. ''Good job, Thomas.'' Then, the shriek of a Griever went through the Glade, all Gladers turning their heads towards the maze. ''What the hell was that?'' Thomas questioned, looking around.

''That, my friend, was a Griever.'' Gally answered before turning back to him. ''Don't worry, you're safe here with us. Nothing gets through those walls.''

''All right, guys. Let's tuck it in for the night.'' Alby called out while clapping in his hands, Grace taking Newt's hand as they walked over to the hammocks.

We are officially beginning with the plot and I cannot wait to start! I Hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library