XI // Moment of Fame

Start from the beginning

To that lady? Why would he kill her?

I shouldn't have told him anything last night.

I didn't know Haider's so heartless.

Her opened eyes haunt me.

She's going to kill me.

Allah's going to do justice and I'll lose my everything.

The bullet on the forehead. She died! God she died!

I press my face against the pillow and bite on it to stop myself. Her eyes! Ya Allah, ya khudaya reham, end this, erase it, undo it.

Bring her back to life ALLAH MIYAAN PLEASE!

I try to sit up to watch her come back to life but? that's impossible. How could he?

The way she stopped me from helping her, it all travels my mind.

I can't, I don't want to live.

I hear the door open, "Alaya?"

I breathe, walking away, "Leave."

I get up and throw the lamp on him.

I throw pillows and everything I can from the vanity.

"Alaya what the heck, what happened, what's wrong?" He comes and tries to hold me and I step back pushing even the air between us with my hands.

"I hate you. Leave. Leave me alone. Please leave." My soul shivers.

"Are you okay jaana? Did anyone come here—"

"Don't. I'm not your jaana. Leave. Leave before I kill you, Haider. LEAVE!"

My legs betray me and my body gives up.

He sits in front of me and strokes a thumb on my cheek as my vision gets blurry.

I push him away when he tries to help me up.

"You killed her. I saw you, I saw it. You have no heart. You're... you're inhumane. You don't deserve any good in life. I hate you. You killed her, I saw you."

He drags me towards the bed and makes a call.

"Call baba. I don't want this. I want to go home."

"Send a chocolate bar and a packet of chips to my room, quick." He orders on the phone.

I see a glass of water stretched out towards me and hit it away. "No, I wanna go home. You killed her."

"Listen to me, it's okay. You're safe here."

"You killed her in front of me, in this house, how can you say that?"

I move his hands away and stick my head lower to the ground.

"I wanna go home. I don't want to be brave. I don't want to live this story. I was meant for a different book. This was not my story."

I watch him taking my dupatta off.

His hands slide below my knees and I crawl behind.

"Don't touch me." I take his hand off my back. "I didn't do anything. Leave me. Leave the room please. You're suffocating me. Harmeen!"

He walks to the door.

"Harmeen! Help! HELP!"

"Alaya, calm down." He opens the chocolate bar.

"HOW DO I CALM DOWN? YOU KILLED HER IN FRONT OF MY EYES. I'M NEVER GOING TO FORGIVE YOU."

"I'm sorry, Alaya. I didn't know you were watching." He puts a piece of chocolate in my mouth but ignoring the sudden intense hunger, I spit it.