Chapter Five: The Nina Project

Y/n's POV

"Hey," Steve greeted when he saw that I was awake. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"No," I reply softly. "So I just stayed on Max watch all night."

"Oh. Okay. Um, can we talk for a minute?" Steve asked.

"Actually, I think I'm gonna go get something to eat. And uh, Nancy said to be ready in like 10 minutes," I relay to him.

"Why? Where are we going?" Steve quizzed.

"The Creel House," I answer. "Apparently Nancy, Max, and Dustin think it's connected to Vecna. Anyways, 10 minutes. Be ready."

Ten minutes later, all of us were ready to head out. We all piled into Nancy's station wagon, and after the past few years, I was surprised we all fit. I was stuffed in the back with the kids and Steve, and the whole drive to the Creel House, I avoided Steve's eyes. I could feel them on me constantly, which usually wouldn't have been a problem. But after yesterday, after what I told him at the cemetery, things were a little off between us. To keep him from talking to me in the car, I put on my headphones and listened to some music. In no time, we were at the house, and we all climbed out of the car.

"What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve inquired as him and Nancy pulled the nails out of the wood that was blocking the door.

"We're not sure," Nancy responded. "We just know this house is important to Vecna.

"Right. Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world," Steve remembered.

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is," Dustin suggested. "Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max."

"We don't think he's in here, do we?" Lucas questioned as Nancy and Steve removed the giant wooden board away from the door.

Max shrugged. "I guess we'll find out."

"Guys. It's locked," Steve alerted us. "Should I knock? You know, see if anybody's home?"

"No need. I found a key," I declare and hold up a brick. "Everybody stand back." Once everyone was clear of the door, I threw the brick at the glass, shattering the beautiful rose that had been painted on it. With the glass broken, Steve was able to reach inside and twist the door knob, allowing us inside.

"Wow. You are badass," Robin commented and smiled at me. "How'd that feel? Cause it looked awesome."

"It felt amazing. Honestly, best thing I've done all week," I confess as we stepped into the house together. All at once, we all pulled out a flashlight and turned it on, lighting up the previously dark house. Steve glanced around, clearly confused.

"Where'd everyone get those?" Steve implored.

"Do you need to be told everything? You're not a child," Dustin lectured and handed him his backpack. "Back pocket. Jesus. Sometimes I worry for you, Y/n."

I laughed. "I worry for myself sometimes too, Dustin."

"Hey, guys? Come here for a second," Max urged and waved us all over to where she was standing. "You all see that clock, right?"

Nancy nodded. "Yeah. Is this what you saw? In your visions?"

"I mean, it's just a clock," Robin pointed out. "Like a normal old clock."

"Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks? Maybe he's, like, a clockmaker or something?" Steve proposed.

"I think you cracked the case, Steve," Dustin joked.

"All I know is the answers are here. Somewhere. Okay, everyone stay in groups," Nancy instructed. "Robin, you and I can check upstairs."