Chapter Four: Dear Billy

Y/n's POV

"It was here. Right here," Max insisted and stared at the wall. "The grandfather clock...it was so real. And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just I woke up."

"It was like she was in a trance or something. Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy," Dustin recalled to Nancy and Robin, who had just showed up at the school. 

"That's not even the bad part," Max claimed. "Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Miss Kelley for help. They both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then there were the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions, they just kept on getting worse and worse, until eventually everything ended." 

"Vecna's curse," Robin realized. 

"Chrissy's headache started a week ago. Fred's, six days ago. I've been having them for five days," Max revealed. "I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock, so it looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow."

"No you're not," I disagree. "Because we're gonna do everything we can to save you." Just then, a noise echoed out from the hallway, and I jumped slightly, my ears on high alert. Steve narrowed his eyes at the door and grabbed a lamp from Ms. Kelley's office before heading towards the hallway.

"Stay here," Steve ordered and exited the room. Instead of obeying Steve, all of us followed after him. As the noise got closer, Steve rose his lamp higher. And then, suddenly, Lucas appeared out of nowhere. Steve swung the lamp, almost hitting Lucas, who jumped out of the way.

"It's me! It's me!" Lucas cried out.

"Jesus, what's wrong with you Sinclair? I could've taken you out with this lamp!" Steve exclaimed.

"Sorry," Lucas apologized. "I was just biking for eight miles. Look, we've got a code red. I've been with Jason, Patrick, and Andy, and they've gone totally off the rails. They're trying to capture Eddie, and they think Dustin knows where he is. You're in terrible danger, dude."

"All right. Yeah, that definitely sucks," Dustin agreed. "But we've got bigger problems
than Jason now."

..................................................

"Okay, be honest. Do you guys understand any of this?" Steve asked and help up the paper he was holding. Steve, Dustin, Lucas, Max, and I were in the Wheeler's basement reading over the stuff Robin and Nancy found at the library. Well, most of us were. Max was sitting down at a desk on the other side of the room writing something. Now, I didn't want to believe that Victor Creel was involved, but scarily, everything made sense.

"It's pretty straightforward," I declare and perch myself on the arm of Steve's chair, taking the paper from his hands. "So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died, except for this old Victor Creel dude Nancy found. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him."

"That's assuming he was cursed, which we don't even know," Steve noted. "How can Vecna have existed in the '50s? It doesn't make sense."

"As far as we know, Eleven didn't create the Upside Down. She opened a gate to it," Dustin brought up. "The Upside Down has probably been around for thousands of years. Millions. I wouldn't be surprised if it predated the dinosaurs."

"Okay, but if a gate didn't exist in the '50s, how did Vecna get through?" Lucas questioned.

"How's he getting through now? And why now? And why then?" Steve pushed. "I mean, he just pops out in the '50s, kills one family, and he's like, 'I'm good.' And poof, he just disappears. Just gone? Only to return 30 years later and start killing random teens? No, I don't buy it. Straightforward, my ass. Honestly, Henderson, Y/n, a little humility now and then wouldn't hurt the two of you."