The three of us spent the entire night laughing and enjoying each other's company.

We lie under the night's sky talking about the day we just had.

I listen to my two best friends talk their tongues off. 

Their happiness alone makes me feel content.

I smile silently, and just listen.

"Hey...Chae, you're being a bit quiet. What's up?" Yeji checks up on me.

I snap out of my sentimental thought "Huh? Oh, yea, I'm fine. I was just listening to you guys," I turn to her and smile.

"Oh my gosh! Chae-Eun. Did you see that guy at the amusement park?" Haerim exclaims.

I raise my eyebrows in confusion, "What are you talking about?"

"The one who was twerking shirtless!" She yells, a bit too loud, trying to contain her laughter.

"The old man!" She and Yeji shout simultaneously.

The three of us burst into laughter recalling the man that was dancing to the odd music playing in the amusement park.

We go inside thirty something minutes later to get freshened up and watch a movie.

The three of us sprawl out on the large couches Yeji's family owns while watching 10 Things I Hate About You.

It's now our movie.

Similar to how couples or families have "their show", the show they watch together and live by, we have "our movie".

We go to sleep in Yeji's, again, large bed. I swear everything this family owns is big, including the house itself.

The three of us cuddled up in the chilled room talking quietly before falling asleep.

~~

I wake up to noise from downstairs, a door shutting. 

I grab my phone off of Yeji's nightstand.

It reads a bright 3:54. My eyes strain at the sudden brightness of my phone screen.

Why is there so much noise at such an early hour...? Well late, I guess.

I get up to investigate.

I'm similar to the people in those stupid horror movies.

Instead of staying put in their safe place when they hear or see strange things at three in the morning, they go to it.

Those people are complete idiots.

I guess I am, too.

There's a room three doors down with light shining under the crack of the oak door and muffled voices inside.

I was about to turn back after realizing it was just Sunghoon and his friends, before hearing a loud crash coming from downstairs.

Only the stove light is on but, Again, I go toward it. Number one tip, unless it's your career, and you're not afraid of death or such, don't investigate.

I see a male's back and a shattered plate on the floor.

The teen stands back in shock mumbling curse words.

Should I do something or...?

"Uh, do you need help?"

The boy jumps at my voice and turns to me.

Yang Jungwon. 

My face turns a deep shade of red.

What the hell? Why is it so hot in here? What is this feeling? I don't care what it is, I don't like it.

Although these are my thoughts, I don't forget to thank the heavens, or whatever is making sure my tomato complexion is out of the moonlight.

"Oh, I'm fine. Thanks..." He awkwardly rubs his nape showing a sheepish smile.

I leave with a nod after his words, he probably thinks I'm going back upstairs.

Tip number two, never let them know your next move.

I come back with a broom and dust pan in my hand.

"Hold the dustpan, I'll sweep." 

Jungwon is a bit taken aback by my demanding tone, but complies.

He kneels down with the dust pan in front of the glass.

I sweep every bit of glass into the pan until nothing remains.

I grab a grocery bag to put the broken shards into before disposing of them.

"How did that even happen?" I ask Jungwon, who's leaning against the counter, as I put the grocery bag into the trash bin.

"I was trying to get a glass for water, but I didn't see the plate on the counter. You already know what happened next." He says jokingly, but I can sense the small amount of embarrassment he has in his voice.

I laugh slightly, and look up at him.

A glint of moonlight rests on his face.

I catch myself accidentally admiring him, and quickly look down after the realization.

Why are we literally sitting here in silence for such a long time...? Does he not find this awkward?

"Why did you stay down here? It's late, you could've gone to sleep." 

"I'm not too tired, besides I didn't want to leave you alone for the monsters to get you," he teases.

I roll my eyes at his joke, "Well I am tired, you and your friends woke me up. Night!" I walk away from the boy, and he follows.

He playfully pouts at me and tugs my arm slightly, "I'm sorry about my friends and I, but don't you want to stay here and keep me company?" 

Why is he making that face? He looks so stupid.

So stupid that I find myself smiling at his playfulness.

I quicken my pace, which results to Jungwon chasing me around the entire downstairs, our laughs probably disturbing those who are actually sleeping.

We collapse on the couch, exhausted from it being four in the morning, and our running.

"You wanted me to stay that badly, huh?" I ask, obviously teasing.

I look down at Jungwon's head that's resting 

I don't even know when we became so close, physically or relationship wise.

"Of course," He lets out a raspy response.

We speak for what feels like hours, until the room is filled with nothing but our soft snores.

~

Published: February 6, 2023

Edited:--

Other Works:

special - nishimura riki

when i was your man - park sunghoon

farewell, neverland - tomorrow x together