Students rush into the hallways as soon as the final bell rings.

I calmly place my items into my bag to see Haerin already waiting at the door.

"Chae! Hurry up." Haerin whined at me.

"Oh, be patient," I boss, "You still act like a child sometimes, I swear" I mumble and roll my eyes, as I walk out of the door and into the, now calm, hallway.

Haerin stops in her tracks, as I keep walking. I look back to see Haerin charging at me head first.

What the fuck?! Is she a wild animal?

Yeji turns the corner to this...questionable site. I quickly move to the side as she nears me, causing her to run into the wall.

Yeji and I stare at each other, holding in our laughs, but when we see Haerin on the floor, we couldn't contain our laughter.

"You should've seen yourself! You looked like a bull!" Yeji held her stomach while cackling.

I continuously slapped Yeji's arm while laughing out of breath, "Yeah! I thought you were going to kill me!" 

Haerim pouts from the floor "Guys..stop making fun of me," she jokingly sulks.

Our laughs continue, as we couldn't get over the moment...leading to all three of us on the floor. Not the most sanitary situation, but oh well!

"Fine, I'm leaving." Haerin acts as if she's about to walk to the next hall before I interrupt her.

"Okay, Okay, let's go."

The three of us walk home together, making jokes here and there. 

I stayed quiet majority of the walk.

I've been working on a book to send out to a publisher as my first release.

For years I've been writing excerpts on my emotions and experiences. 

I don't know if they'll be good enough though. 

I ponder these thoughts until we reach Yeji's house.

When we walk in, her brother and two of his friends are at the counter.

Wow..her brother is handsome. Good looks must run in the family.

I only see his two friend's back, until her brother notices out presence, that is.

"Why are you guys here?" Yeji's brother questions.

"We're only here to drop off our stuff, Sunghoon." Yeji's answers with a bored tone, before taking mine and Haerim's bags and bringing them to her room.

When his friends turn around at his acknowledgment, my jaw drops. Well, in my head at least. That'd be way too embarrassing if my jaw actually dropped. 

I snort at my thought, earning odd looks from the four people in the room.

"Kim Sunoo!" I run up to Sunoo to give him a hug.

His two friends give us a weird look,

"You know each other..?" Sunghoon asks, a bit weirded out at how I greeted Sunoo.

"Yea, you seem a bit...close" His other friend adds.

"Oh..He's my best friend!" I chuckle awkwardly 

I turn to Sunghoon, "Besides your sister and my cousin, of course."

The air becomes awkward and I look around to avoid the questioning looks Sunoo and I are receiving.

Is it really that odd for a male and female to be platonically close?!

Haerin is in the restroom and Yeji is in her room...Should I make a run for it?

"Well...It was nice meeting you, Sunghoon and...?"

"Jaeyun." The friend replies.

"Jaeyun! But I should get going." I run up the stairs to Yeji's room, but not without shouting, 

"See you, Sunoo!" and throwing him a hand heart, of course.

Huh..that might've just added to their suspicion. 

I hear Sunghoon tell the guys something along the lines of "He's outside, let's go."

I raise my eyebrows at the sentence I overheard.

Who? Whatever, it's not my business. I'm just glad I got out of there.

When I reach Yeji's room, I heave out a deep breath.

"You good?"

"No! Oh my God. I just had the worst interaction with your brother and his friends!" 

I rant to Yeji all about what happened downstairs as she laughs at how awkward I am around new people.

She doesn't miss the chance to bring up our first encounter either...

Haerin enters the room with an exhausted look on her face, "I looked everywhere for you guys! Why'd you leave me?!" 

We look at her in disbelief, "So the one place you didn't check was...my room?"

I burst into laughter at Haerin's strategies to 'finding us'.

"Well I didn't think of that!" She whines, again.

We lie on Yeji's bed in silence to rest a bit before Haerin speaks again,

"Your family has really nice portraits on the walls...It's like an art gallery!"

"I want to live here when I grow up," She jokes.

Yeji smiles and shakes her head at the girl before leading us out of the house and to the bus stop.

updated after a while! 

don't forget to vote and comment! stay healthy and take care of yourselves <3 i believe in you!!

QOTD: where are you from/reading from?

Other works:

special - nishimura riki

when i was your man - park sunghoon

Published: January 26, 2023

Edited:--