"Yeah!" I say less enthusiastic. "If he wants to."

"Go ask him!" Kyle tells me.

"Alright." I sigh and walk out to the dock. "Yo Jake!"

"Maddie?" He asks and stands up, his legs dripping due to where he had his legs in the water. "What's up?"

"Um, I'm kinda taking the twins to get ice cream and they asked if you could come as well." I say awkwardly.

"Oh yeah sure." He nods. "Let's go."

"You might wanna put your shirt on first." I point at his bare chest.

"Oh yeah. I'll be back in five." He jogs to the house and I walk to the front porch where the twins are.

"He's getting changed, we've just gotta wait." We all sit down on the front step to wait.

When Jake comes back we wordlessly start walking.

_____________

"Hiya what can I get ya?" The lady behind the counter asks.

"Chocolate!" The boys cheer.

I laugh, "Um, two chocolate and a rocky road whippy please." I request.

"Okay. Anything else?" She asks.

"Um, a large blue raspberry slurpee as well, please." I add.

"That all?"

"Yep." I smile.

"That'll be 15 dollars." She says. "Cash or card?"

"Cash." I reply and reach for my purse but Jake beats me there. "Jake!"

"Maddie!" He mimics me.

"What're you doing?"

"What does it look like?" He raise an eyebrow at me. "I'm paying for the ice creams."

"Yeah but-"

He cuts me off, "As a great man once said, 'no buts, no cuts, no coconuts'." 

"Did you really just quote your dad?" I ask him, dumbfounded.

"I did." He smiles proudly.

"Two chocolate whippies." The lady hands me over the counter. "And a rocky road whippy, and a large slurpee."  She hands these to Jake as I crouch down in front of the twins.

"Thanks." Jake smiles polietly.

"Boys, what do you say?" I raise an eyebrow at them.

"Thanks ice lady." They smile.

She laughs, "You're welcome boys."

They reach forward but I pull them back. "Nu uh huh." I shake my head.

The boys look at each other a plant a big kiss on each of my cheeks, causing me to giggle and the lady and Jake to chuckle at our antics. "Alright boys, thanks. That's enough. Here." They push their faces further into my cheeks, muffling my voice. "You can have your ice creams."

"Nigel, Kyle, stop squishing her face." Jake laughs and they pull away giggling to themselves.

"Have your ice creams." I hand them an ice cream each.

"Thank you!" They chorus and I laugh.

I stand up straight and Jake hands me my slurpee and places his hand on my waist. "There you go."

"Thanks, babe." My eyes widen at the pet name I gave him. "I-I mean... I-"

He laughs, "Don't sweat it, Pretty Girl."