The Piggyback

The group stood in their gear, ready to enter the Upside Down for what they hoped would be the last time ever

The group stood in their gear, ready to enter the Upside Down for what they hoped would be the last time ever. "I wanna run through it one more time." Steve said, pacing the length of the trailer.

"Phase one." Cassie began.

"We meet Erica at the playground." Robin recalled, "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase two." Lucas said, "Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?" Nancy looked around.

"Me and Eddie draw the bats away." Cass nodded, "Oh, Dustin's there too."

"Wait why are you there?" Max turned to her.

"I'm on drums, duh." She rolled her eyes.

"What?"
"Seriously?"

"Why is everyone so surprised?" She asked, "You pick up new hobbies working in a record store all day every day."

"Four. We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and flambé." Steve finished.

"Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied." Cass set out rules, "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

The whole group climb the rope, falling onto the mattress in the Upside Down trailer

The whole group climb the rope, falling onto the mattress in the Upside Down trailer. They made it into the dark, cold air outside, and Steve turned around to give a pep talk.

"If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay?" He said. "Draw the attention of the bats. Keep 'em busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna."

"Yes, boss." Dustin nodded.

"Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something." Steve advised, "Okay? You guys are just-"

"Pawns." Dustin finished, "Don't worry. You can be the hero, Steve."

"Absolutely." Eddie chuckled, "I mean, look at us. We are not heroes."

"I mean, we could be." Cassie shrugged.

"Hey, Steve?" Eddie called before they left, "Make him pay."

Eddie, Cassie and Dustin walk into Eddie's room, and see his six string in all its glory.