Chapter 3: The Storm

"Wow," Kaylissa said. "I have never seen so much desert in my whole life."

    "Me neither," Icas added. "I have seen most of Eddeathra but not this. I guess this is why it is called the uncharted territory." Lauren nudged Askari into the sand and dismounted. "Gah! It's hot!" Lauren shouted as she lunged for Askari's back and clambered on. William chuckled. "Yeah, sand is hot..."

    Lauren glared at him, "Sand was never that hot on Earth."

    "That's because there is no water bordering this dessert for hundreds of miles. On Earth, there is water that seeps into the sand and cools it off. Not until you reach the Exjour will you find cooler sand."

    "A warning could've been nice," Lauren mumbled. Amias smiled and looked ahead. "We had better get going. It will be dark soon."

    "What's wrong with it getting dark?" Lauren asked, suspiciously.

    Icas looked over at Lauren. "As you stray farther and farther from the mainland of Eddeathra, you could run into some of those who hide from people and the watchful eye of Maisha."

    "Maisha cannot see out here?" Lauren asked. "I thought she could see everywhere."

    "The reason that Eddeathra for the most part remains safe is because Maisha is watching it. When the Nites took over, she was watching the Uncharted Territories."

    "Oh," Lauren said. "I think there is a storm coming. Let's go."

    "There should be an oasis somewhere out here," William said.

___________________________

    "This is a terrible idea!" Lauren shouted over the wind that was blowing the sand all around them. They could not see two feet in front of them. They had to tie the horses reins to each other so that they would not lose each other. "There should be an oasis called the Msitu not too far away," Amias shouted over the wind. Amias had took up the front with Mahali. Lauren and Askari were next, then Kaylissa and Dhoruba, then William and Jua, and lastly, Icas and Roho. Kaylissa and Lauren had wrapped scarves around their nose and mouths While Icas, Amias, and William pulled up their shirts. They really had to shout over the wind and the cloth muffeling their voices.

"I wonder if Odi is okay," Kaylissa shouted.

"I wish I knew," Lauren responded. Odi was one of Lauren's first friends when she came to Eddeathra other than Amias. "I just hope we have enough time to find this MQ thing or whatever it is but we really need to..."

"What was that?" William shouted.

"What was what?" Lauren shouted back.

"I saw something black, like, run through the sand!" Sure enough the black blur sped by in front of Amias followed by a second one.

"That better not be what I think it is!" Kaylissa shouted.

"I think it is!" Icas responded and drew his sword. The black blur stopped moving and the group stopped also. A humanoid shape made it's way towards them. Two piercing silver eyes stared at the group.

"Kivuli!" Kaylissa shouted.