Chapter 2: Race the Wind

The group had been traveling for days. The Ashvon seemed to never end. Lauren took out the map and looked at the nearby Sundermere Mountains. "I think we are almost to the Uncharted Territories," she announced.

"Thank goodness," Icas said. "It feels as if we've been traveling forever." Lauren looked over to see William scoff at him. Askari moved into a trot and William's horse, Jua, followed. Askari started to canter and then gallop with Jua not far behind. Icas, Amias, and Kaylissa got the message and urged their horses after Lauren and William.

Lauren looked back to see William catching up with her, his palomino galloping in long, swift strides, every foot bringing her closer to Askari. Kaylissa and Dhoruba were quickly gaining ground and catching up to Jua. Icas and Amias were not far behind. The wind swept through the Ashvon as the group raced to see whose horse was the best.

"Just like old times, huh?" Lauren shouted back to William. He nodded and urged Jua to go faster. The Sundermere Mountains soon faded into the background as the soft, lush, green grass faded into corse, dry sand. Lauren quickly pulled Askari into a stop. The Ashvon had ended and the group was now faced with an enormous desert with no oasis in sight.