C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y - O N E

Start from the beginning

Rowan and I aren't really a touchy couple, at least I would go as far to say. We hang out and talk and kiss and it's perfect, it's comfort.. but we don't need each other all the time. We have our own lives outside of each other and I'm fine with that. One time he went three days off the grid and I just left it go because I trusted him enough to wait for him to come back.

"Hey." I say into the phone.

My eyes flicker to the rear view mirror, knowing Leon is listening and I have no say in the matter.

"Eleonora, you didn't answer my text?"

"I was busy." I reply, my eyes out gazed to the window.

"How busy will you be in a half hour?"

It only takes about fifteen more minutes to get home so I won't be doing much. I wanted to wait for papà to come home though.

"Not much. Why? Did you want to hang out?"

"I know today is hard for you." He states in a calm, kind voice. "I just wanted to see you. You shouldn't be all alone."

All alone. Something I'm not so familiar with anymore.

"I just want to see you too." I say quietly, my fingers fiddling in with themselves. I don't know why he makes me so nervous. It's like I'm a little kid with a crush. So immature.

"Then I'll pick you up in fifteen?"

I take a deep breath in.

In and out.

"See you then."

• • •

"You look beautiful." Those are the first words out of his mouth. His lips are curved into a smile.

I feel an overcoming heat speckle my cheeks. I let my mouth slowly form a gentle smile and I nod.

"Thank you." I say it simply. He keeps his eyes on the road, his fist tight to the wheel. "Are you okay?"

"Huh?" His head snaps to me. "Yeah. Oh, yeah." He dismisses me with a wave of a hand. My eyes study his face, the high cheekbones and clear skin. "Do you mind if I stop somewhere first? It won't take long."

I hum to myself. "I don't care." One, two, three. My fingers tap my thigh. Ring, middle, pointer. Tap, tap, tap. Over and over again.

Maybe I should have just stayed home. I'm not really in the mood to be out but, I won't go back on my word now. It's too late.

Soon we're in the middle of nowhere. The only thing in sight is a warehouse, ivy crawling up the side.

"Bringing me here to kill me?" I ask jokingly.

"Maybe." Rowan smirks, his eyes crinkling.

I blow out a huff of a laugh. He stocks off to the building, forgetting his phone. Rowan tells me he'll only be a few moments.

I wait and wait. I scroll on my phone until there isn't anything left to see. I wait and wait. I draw faces on the window with my breath. I wait and wait. I check the time. I've waited thirty minutes. Something must be wrong.

My chest starts pounding. I can't lose Rowan. What if something did happen?

The car door is slamming shut within seconds. With memories of losing papà looming my mind, I break down the door that Rowan entered in.

"Rowan." I call out.

Nothing.

"Rowan!" I shout this time, trying to stop my voice from sounding frantic. I clear my throat.