I'm Wide Awake

Começar do início

"Just one!" he insists.

"Henderson!" Steve yells, his hands on his shoulders as he stares Dustin down. "No beer."

"Oh, come on. You're not even allowed to drink yet!"

"No beer!" he repeats. Dustin throws his arms into the air and walks away with a Coke and a pout. You're dancing around the kitchen with Robin when the ding of the oven lets you know the cake is done baking. Eddie practically races over, opening the oven door with mitts on his hands, wielding them as if they were powerful gauntlets as he builds up to take the cakes out.

"Eddie, it's hot," you rush him, dropping Robin's hands.

He rolls his eyes but removes the two cake pans from the oven, setting them on the stove to cool. He takes a whiff of it, nodding as he turns to you with a grin. "Smells good," he says.

From the living room, Steve and Dustin stand next to each other with looks on their faces that convey their doubt. "I don't trust it," Steven shakes his head.

Dustin agrees, "Yeah, if we eat that thing, it'll probably lay eggs in our stomach and eat us from the inside out."

Steve stills, slowly turning to face Dustin as he gave him a look that told him how insane he just sounded. "Dude..." he mumbles before walking away.

When he removes the cake from their tins, Eddie immediately reaches for the chocolate frosting. You stop him, "No, you have to wait for the cakes to cool before you frost them."

"Why?" he questions.

"Because otherwise the frosting will melt on the cake," Nancy tells him. Her arms are crossed over her chest as she leans to the side, raising a brow as she stares at him questioningly.

He scoffs, "That's insane."

"Eddie!" you exclaim as he takes a big scoop from the container and dumps it on the cake. He watches it slowly slide off the hot surface and shrugs, continuing to spread the chocolate frosting. You sigh and shake your head, deciding that since he has already started, you might as well help finish.

The finishing result is a two layered cake that looks like it has seen better days as you all surround it, watching it like you are waiting for it to move. The frosting is melted on top of the cake, and the cake sags a little to one side. It's very sad in presentation, but you hope the taste makes up for it as you take a knife to cut it.

You cut into it, giving each person a generous slice of yours and Eddie's creation. You stare at your slice for a long time, poking at it and sniffing it to make sure it doesn't give off anything. It smells heavily of vanilla, but that's to be expected. You and Eddie share a long look before finally taking a concerningly large bite of the desert.

Desert was the wrong word. Whatever it is you had just put in your mouth was some sort of abomination. It's salty and ripe, like you had put an old rubber band in your mouth and chewed on it like gum. The taste is truly horrific. The look on your face is reminiscent of a baby sucking on a lemon.

"Aww! Eddie!" you shout, rushing to the trash to spit out the remains.

"Ah, shit!" he screams, looking as though he is panicking as he's right behind you, ready to dispose of the disaster. The others are quick to follow in their reactions, some rushing to bathrooms and others just going outside. They are all either yelling or seemingly on the verge of tears.

"What did you put in there?" Lucas asks, chugging water like he is trying to save his life. In a way, he is.

"My tastebuds are melting off!" Dustin yells, his voice screeching as he holds his tongue out of his mouth.