Can't Sleep, Love

Magsimula sa umpisa

You punch his arm harshly, getting him to shut up as you shoot him a glare. He is hardly deterred, still giggling to himself as he shakes his head. "Well, that's not true," Lucas tries. "You were really cool when you met us."

You roll your eyes, "That's because you're nerds. And you're just kids, I can talk to kids. It's the condescending adults I hate. And there are a lot of condescending adults."

Eddie is still giggling when you glare at him again. "Eddie, would you shut up?" you tell him, hiding your face in your hands. "God, you're so annoying. Why are we friends?"

"Because no one else would take you," he answers, smirking at you knowingly.

You don't respond to his joke the way he had hoped you would, still hiding your face away in your hands and sighing heavily. He lets out a breath, resigning from his jokes and laughter as he nudges your shoulder. "Ah, I'm sorry," he says, grabbing your hands to pull them away from your face. When you're looking at him, he tilts his head down so he looks at you through his lashes.

"I'm sorry, Ladybug," he apologizes, using that full childhood nickname he had given to you years ago. He grabs a lock of hair between his fingers, pulling it in front of his face to hide behind as he offers a kinder smile. "I'm a royal ass, I should be nicer to a 'Lady'." He almost bows dramatically, his hand discarding his hair in favor of twirling in your direction as he ducks his head.

You find it harder to stay mad at him when he acts like this, especially in front of others who he pretends to be harder with. That twinkle in his eyes, that genuine closed-smile on his lips, you can't help yourself. You return his smile reluctantly, ignoring the way you could feel your heart more consciously in your chest, the way it thumped a little heavier than it had been before.

"Whatever," you mumble. He catches the sincerity in your tone, the silent forgiveness in your voice as you roll your eyes, which still landed on him.

Eddie beams and leans forward again, turning his attention to the freshies that had joined the table moments prior, along with the rest of the D&D nerds at the table. "Alright, you little shits, listen up. I've got a campaign planned for next week so clear your schedules."

~

When nightfall comes and you still find yourself wide awake and desperately in need of sleep, you can't help but pace your room in distress. You always get like this, restless and anxious. This is one of the reasons you absolutely loathe interviews, tests, or even the slightest thought of having to get out of your comfort zone to interact with something or — God forbid — someone you are unfamiliar or unsure about.

You're an acute-insomniac.

And Eddie knows it.

It is closer to midnight when you hear the quiet rap on your window, a familiar tapping that comes when metal meets glass. You turn around and are entirely unsurprised to see your best friend sitting on the ledge, a large grin on his face and the face of his rings turned toward you as he threatens to knock again. You go to the window, taking a seat and opening it to see him.

"Hey, Ladybug," he greets, face still beaming as if the smile had not dropped from when you left him before. The nickname makes you roll your eyes. You hardly remember the last he had called you by your actual name — not that you're complaining.

The nickname "Ladybug" or just "Bug" for short came from when you were a child. You always liked ladybugs, and you used to collect them and take them home with you, hide them in your room in a Mason jar with tiny poked holes in the lid. While Eddie admired your "hobby", it was a tiring job having to comfort you whenever you sobbed because the ladybugs died.