"Malleus..."

"Please, Y/N." Malleus could feel the tears dripping down his cheeks, marking a path of sorrow along his skin. "I am being forced to marry someone I do not love, and the only light in my life has been pledged to another. Please tell me that I am not the only one screaming in agony at how unfair this is to us." He leaned closer, now able to feel Y/N's lips against his own, and his eyes fluttered shut. "Tell me that you still love me."

For a moment, Malleus doubted if she would say anything. He doubted if she would ever allow him to hear the words fall from her lips again. But as the rain battered the world around them, he felt a warmth on his cheeks and smiled softly, knowing that it was Y/N. Her hands moved to his cheeks and held him gently, knowing that he might break, the same as her.

"I still love you, Malleus. I always have."

Y/N's eyes widened as she felt Malleus's lips on hers. It wasn't the feeling of a memory, nor was it the gentle caress of his lips. This was a true kiss. One where Malleus held her against him entirely and completely, and one where Y/N threw her arms around Malleus, forgetting about everything wrong with the world around her. All she could focus on was the burning in her chest, and the music dancing in her head, telling her that she would regret this later. But in the moment, she couldn't find any reason to pull away. 

A thousand memories flew through her mind as Malleus' lips moved against her own, reminding her that her heart always belonged to him. Though the years had passed, the memories of the way his skin felt against hers were still there, as fresh as the smell of the world after a cleansing downpour. 

Malleus pulled away for a moment, tears streaming down his face with vigour. "I love you, Y/N." His voice came out in choked sobs as he clenched his hands around her body, unwilling to let the world pull her away from him. "I love you more than anything in this world!" He inhaled deeply, his body shaking as he felt Y/N's hands gently run through his hair. "Knowing that you will belong to another kills me in a way that I never thought possible."

His eyes opened and he felt his heart break all over again when he saw tears running down Y/N's face.

"Darling," he whispered, cupping her cheeks. "Please don't cry. I don't want to see you plagued with sorrow." He leaned close and pressed his forehead to hers, gently wiping away her tears as they fell.

"I can't help it, Malleus," Y/N said, her body trembling. "I hate the idea of marrying one who is not you." She gave a weak laugh and lowered her head to rest on Malleus' chest, inhaling his scent, soaked through with angry bullets of water. "But you are the prince. You must marry someone who can help you rule this kingdom."

Malleus pulled back from the embrace. "I do not want anyone if it isn't you! I love you, Y/N! Please tell me that you know how much I love you!"

"I know, Malleus. But we cannot indulge in our longing, or our love." She took a step back, trying to put distance between herself and the love of her life. "You are not mine, and I am not yours." 

Malleus didn't let her get far and pulled her back, pressing his lips to hers again. Y/N let out a soft yelp, but her body refused to listen to her mind anymore and instead focused on how right it felt. The way that Malleus' thumbs snuck beneath the edge of her top, massaging the bare skin, and the shiver that ran up her spine as she felt his nails scrape along her s/c skin. Everything about it felt so right. Impossibly right. Dangerously right.

But it wasn't enough for Malleus. Slowly, he backed Y/N up, making sure that he never let go of his hold on her, and only when he felt her hit one of the beams of the pavilion did he allow his hands to gently and slowly caress her sides, making their way towards her neck. 

"Malleus," Y/N whispered as he pulled away to gather some air into her lungs. He refused to let her say anything more and crashed his lips back on hers with renewed passion. They had never kissed like this before. It had always been gentle and loving, careful of not pushing anything too far, but Malleus knew that he was on borrowed time. The night would only last so long. 

He gripped Y/N's jaw delicately, as if she were made of porcelain, and feverishly pressed his lips against hers in unyielding kisses. He refused to let her say anything. All he wanted was to feel the love that they shared, and though he had been scared of frightening the young woman in front of him, all fear was lost when he felt her return his passion. She gripped his hair, refusing to let him get too far away from her, the other hand wrapped around the back of his neck. She loved everything about this, and never wanted this to end. 

But sadly, both required oxygen and pulled away, though remaining close to each other. 

"Dance with me, Y/N," Malleus whispered, stepping away towards the edge of the pavilion, pulling Y/N with him. "Dance with me like we used to."

Giddy and drunk on the love, Y/N nodded and allowed Malleus to pull her out into the rain. Her hat flew from her head, falling to the muddy ground below. Malleus stripped off his jacket, tossing it onto a hedge, and he pulled Y/N closer, allowing her hands to feel the muscles beneath his thin shirt. 

'You have no idea what you do to me, my darling,' Malleus thought as he pulled Y/N close again, pressing his lips to hers. 'I want to run away with you and leave this world behind. I want to run to the ends of the earth and make a life for us, away from everything that is expected of us.' He pressed kiss after kiss to Y/N's lips, slowly starting to sway with her. 

A rumble of thunder echoed overhead and Y/N jumped, making both of them start laughing as they basked in each other's presence. Neither had a care in the world. All they could think about was each other and how good it felt to finally be together again, even if it was only for a moment. 

The rain streaked down their bodies, Malleus' shirt slowly revealing his torso to the woman in front of him. Y/N was glad that she had chosen a darker fabric today rather than the white dress that she had been planning on. 

"I love you, Y/N," Malleus declared, trying not to send rainwater flying into Y/N's face.

"I love you too, Malleus!"

Malleus grinned like a boy and took Y/N's hand, starting to lead her through a dance. There, in the hedges of roses and lilies, where no one dared to disturb them. The mud was slick beneath their feet and soon they tumbled back onto the ground, Y/N landing on top of Malleus. 

"I'm sorry," she shouted over the rain. The water trickled from her face onto Malleus, and he laughed.

"I don't care, darling, so long as I'm with you!" He leaned up and kissed Y/N again, slowly sitting up and pulling her onto his lap. He didn't care about the mud soaking his trousers, nor did he care about the warning bells in his head that he had been gone for too long. 

Neither one noticed the approaching shouts until it was too late.

"Y/N! What do you think you're doing?!"