Chapter 03: Her Troublesome Secret Admirer

Start from the beginning

A look of hesitation flashed across her face. Was she so mad at me that she wouldn't allow me to help her? I was trying to be a good Samaritan here. Perhaps, she needed a little more convincing. A little more push.

"Don't worry. Once your problem is solved, we can return to playing strangers again." That's probably what she wanted to hear. I motioned my hand toward the vacant chair across the table. "So why don't you take a seat and tell me more about your case?"

She eventually gave in and settled down on the chair at the other end of the table. The distance between us was very telling of our relationship.

"Go ahead, I'm listening," I told her before leaning my back against my swivel chair.

She took a deep breath before starting. "Nitong Monday, napansin kong may nagbukas ng locker ko at nag-iwan ng isang box ng chocolate. Kahapon, naglagay siya ng red rose at picture ko na may note. Kanina, nag-iwan siya ng maliit na teddy bear na may nakadikit na profile picture ko mula sa Facebook."

I know, I know. I swiveled my chair away from her and looked out the window. So the third gift prompted her to pay my club a visit. "Looks like there's nothing unusual in your secret admirer case. Do you have any idea on who this person might be?"

"Sa tingin ko, isa siya sa classmates kong lalaki. 'Yong iniwan niya kasing picture kahapon, kinuhanan habang nasa classroom ako. Wala namang taga-ibang class na pumapasok sa room namin kaya malabong outsider 'yon."

Oh, she managed to make that deduction? It's quite obvious who the suspects were, given the circumstances. But at the very least, she's not entirely clueless. "Interesting observation. What time do you usually check your locker?"

"Umaga tuwing PE class namin."

I stared at the blue skies outside. A thought came to my mind, and I tried to visualize how it would play out. Here's what's clear to me: The secret admirer knew how to pick her locker door, and he could check its contents anytime. I might be able to use that fact to solve this little mystery.

I swiveled my chair to face her again. "Consider your problem solved. If you want, I can introduce your secret admirer this afternoon."

Her eyes blinked. "Kilala mo na kung sino siya?"

"Not really. But I have an idea on how I can expose his identity. Until what time are your classes today?"

"Until four o'clock. Why?"

"Meet me at exactly five o'clock on the rooftop. I'll unmask the identity of your secret admirer and put an end to your problem."

SOMEHOW, I was grateful to her for giving me the distraction that I badly needed. It kept my mind off the thought that I'd be losing the clubroom to some random group who didn't deserve it. I got some important memories in this place, that's why I was desperate to keep it. But I was not that desperate to kneel before my brother and beg for his mercy. I'd never do that. He could have the clubroom for himself.

It's three in the afternoon. While my Oral Communication in Context instructor was discussing our lesson, I tore a page from my small notebook and wrote the following words: "Meet me at the rooftop 5 PM." But I thought that might not be enough so I drew a heart symbol and added my client's name.

Wait, what's her name again? Lorraine? Louella? Loretta? Ugh! I rarely hated my mind for forgetting the names of my clients. Oh, yeah! Her name's Lorelei.

When our instructor asked us to do a seatwork, I raised my hand and excused myself to go to the boy's comfort room. As soon as I was allowed, I got to my feet, walked faster than my usual pace, rushed down the stairs, and went to the locker area. I didn't ask my client what her locker number was, but owners' names were plastered on the doors. It wasn't an issue.