XVI: Heartbroken But Got Better

Helen Bucket was chopping cabbage in the kitchen, Joe was sweeping the floor, Nathan Bucket was reading a newspaper and  Josephine, George, and Georgina were lying in bed, as usual

Helen Bucket was chopping cabbage in the kitchen, Joe was sweeping the floor, Nathan Bucket was reading a newspaper and Josephine, George, and Georgina were lying in bed, as usual. "When do you think they'll be back?" Helen Bucket asked.

"Hard to know, dear." Nathan Bucket answered her.

That's when the glass elevator crashed through the roof and landed right in the house. Helen shrieked in surprise. Nathan jumped onto the couch. Georgina, having just woken up from her nap, said, "I think there's someone at the door."

"Hi mom!" Charlie waved at Mrs Bucket. Willy waved too, albeit a small and awkward wave.

Helen waved back at her child, and the man that was with them. "Hi."
Emma and Charlie exited the elevator. They ran over to Nathan and Helen. "Mom, dad! We're back!" Charlie exclaimed. The four of them shared a group hug.

Willy had finally stepped out of the elevator, and approached the hugging Buckets. "This is Willy Wonka." Emma introduced, smiling lovingly at the man. Willy looked at Emma and returned the smile. "He gave us a ride home."

"I see that." Helen Bucket said, glancing up at the ceiling.

Willy looked between Mr and Mrs Bucket. "You must be Charlie's p...p..." He was struggling to say the word.

"Parents." Nathan answered for him.

"Yeah, that."

"He says Charlie's won something." Emma explained to her sister and brother-in-law.

"Not just some something." Willy began. He started looking around in the cupboards. "The most something something of any something that's ever been. I'm gonna give this boy my entire factory." Everyone grew shocked expressions on their faces.

"You must be joking!" Joe exclaimed.

Willy began to explain. "No, really. It's true. Because, you see, a few months ago, I was having my semi-annual haircut, and I had the strangest revelation. In that one silver hair I saw, reflected my life's work, my factory, my beloved Oompa-Loompas. Who would watch over them after I was gone? I realized in that moment, I must find an heir. And I did, Charlie. You."

"That's why you sent out the golden tickets!" Charlie concluded with glee.

"What are Oompa-Loompas?" Mrs Bucket asked in a whisper.

"I invited five children to the factory and the one who was the least rotten would be the winner." Willy opened up one more cupboard, finding Charlie's toothpaste tube cap replica of the chocolate factory.

"That's you, Charlie." Emma said, giving her nephew a hug.

Willy walked up to Charlie and asked, "So, what do you say? Are you ready to leave all this behind and come live with me at the factory?"

"Sure, of course!" Charlie said. Emma wasn't sure she'd ever seen him smile so brightly. "I mean, it's alright if my family comes too?"

"Oh, my dear boy, of course they can't!" And just like that, everyone's smiles dropped. But it wasn't only Emma's smile that dropped. She could feel her heart sinking down into her stomach.

"You can't run a chocolate factory with a family hanging over you like an old, dead goose

"You can't run a chocolate factory with a family hanging over you like an old, dead goose." Willy glanced over at the grandparents. "No offence."

"None taken, jerk." George replied.

Willy threw him an annoyed glance but ignored the comment all the same. "A chocolatier has to run free and solo. He has to follow his dreams. Gosh darn the consequences." Willy stepped back into the elevator. "Look at me. I had no family, and I'm a giant success."

Emma's eyes were brimming with tears. She wanted to say something to Willy, but as soon as she opened her mouth, it immediately snapped shut. Charlie grabbed her hand, and gave it a comforting squeeze. "So, if I go with you to the factory, I won't ever see my family again?" He asked.

"Yeah." Willy nodded. "Consider that a bonus."

"Then I'm not going." Charlie decided. "I wouldn't give up my family for anything. Not for all the chocolate in the world."

Willy's smile fell from his face

Willy's smile fell from his face. "Oh, I see. That's weird." He gave one more shot at trying to convince Charlie. "There's other candy too besides chocolate."

"I'm sorry, Mr Wonka. I'm staying here" Charlie told him sharply.

"Wow." Willy frowned, and his eyebrows furrowed. "Well, that's just...unexpected and weird. But I suppose, in that case, I'll just... goodbye then." He gave a nod and was about to press a button. He looked at Charlie again. "Sure you won't change your mind?"

Charlie nodded. "I'm sure."

And for the first time during that whole discussion, Willy tried meeting Emma's gaze. "Emma?" He tried. And then he suddenly felt guilty when he saw her face. How could he say all those things in front of her?

Emma looked away, wiping the tears from her face. "Just go, Mr Wonka."

If Willy wasn't feeling defeated before, he definitely was now. It hurt him to hear Emma call him Mr Wonka instead of Willy. It broke his heart. He found himself to care deeply for the girl all in the course of one day. Now, she wouldn't even look him in the eye. With a final goodbye, Willy pressed a button, and the elevator flew out of the house.

"Things are going to get much better!" Georgina chirped optimistically.

Emma burst out into tears again and ran out the door. The other Buckets couldn't do anything but watch as she did. She needed her space right now.
"Charlie," Joe looked down at the boy. "What exactly happened today?"

The boy answered his grandfather. "Emma and Mr Wonka fell in love with each other, but now..." Charlie gazed at the door which Emma ran through moments ago. He then looked up at hole in the ceiling. "They'll never see each other again."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Question: Who is the most lovable character in the movie?

My answer: Charlie! Hands down he'll choose his family over anything and to me that's important.

Words: 996