C H A P T E R V (English)

"Make a sound and I'll shut you upKeeping it rough but call it love

Keeping it rough but call it love

You've been checking under your bed to see if I'm there
When you look back up, I'm under you pulling your hair

Getting lost inside my world, you don't know where I've been
Oh no, oh no "
- Aimed to kill, Jade Lemac

The room was big, not just big. No, gigantically large. A canopy bed in dark wood stood in the center of the room. White linen, which shielded the four-poster bed, blew through the light breeze, coming from the balcony. Josje's jaw was practically on the floor in surprise. Their former home was as big as this one room.

Krelsa walked deeper into the room. With slow steps, he walked onto the balcony, ignoring Josje and whether he was following him.

The late evening sun gave a golden glow to the vast landscape - which as far as Krelsa could see - was completely covered with forest. The marble railing of the balcony felt cold against his calloused hands.

It was as if the fact that they were stuck here only now dawned on him. Josje and he were stuck in a bloody castle by a lord who wouldn't even reveal his name. He cursed inwardly and turned to enter the room again when he saw a brown blur flash by in the corner of his eye. Not much later, a choked cry from Josje followed.

Quickly Krelsa ran inside and saw the image of a screaming Josje lying on the bed struggling with a small, brown and furry ball.

"Krelsa! Don't just stand there and get this thing off me!" wailed Josje desperately. Without thinking, Krelsa stumbled over to the bed laughing and trying to calm the hairball. The beast let out a high-pitched scream as Krelsa pulled it away from Josje. Its sharp little nails had left scratches on Josje's face.

Out of breath, Josje scolded the beast, which by now was calming down in Krelsa's arms.

"That creature wanted to kill me." Josje almost sobbed. Innocently the beast looked up at Krelsa with its black beady eyes. "What is it even?" sulked Josje. Before Krelsa could even make a guess, the maid, who had introduced herself as Margaret, waltzed in.

"A capybara" Margaretha quickly grabbed the animal from Krelsa's hands. Only then did he notice the collar the capybara had on. "It's the lord's pet, but he's not that well trained yet" She gave the creature a scathing pale and for a moment it seemed to cringe in fear. "Isn't it, Férnando?" The capybara blew softly in frustration.

Krelsa laughed quietly. The lord of the castle had named his "capybara" Férnando, maybe he wasn't so bad after all?

-*-*-

Krelsa stared with boredom at the mural on the ceiling. Angels sat on their milk white clouds and played their trumpets. The scene didn't fit in the dark castle, Krelsa thought.

For a moment it seemed as if the angels were looking down on him mockingly, but Krelsa quickly dropped that thought when he heard two soft knocks on the door. He frowned; after Margaretha had left the room with the beloved Férnando, no one had come by.

At first Krelsa didn't want to get up, but when there was another knock at the door he straightened up from bed, sighing.

He heard the faint chanting of Josje coming from the bathroom and shook his head muttering. After the mini-fight with the capybara, he wanted to wash off the stench of the beast first. With sluggish steps Krelsa finally reached the door which he opened slowly.

Once the door was opened he saw ,

no one.

Krelsa felt his heart beat faster in his chest and looked around the deserted corridor. The breeze that blew through the hallway made him shiver, as the white flannel shirt he was wearing didn't do much against the cold.

For a few seconds he stood waiting at the doorway, not noticing a soul.

Krelsa just wanted to go back into the warm room, but a soft whisper made him stop.

"Follow me." The alluring voice made Krelsa take a step forward. In the back of his mind he could still hear the castle lord's words as a terrible lament.

"In the bedroom you will wait until dinner time."

Would it hurt if he left the room for just a moment? No, right? Against her better judgment, Krelsa closed the room door behind her and walked in the direction of the voice. Krelsa looked like a puppet without a will.

He had just reached the corner of the corridor when the echo of a few footsteps sounded through. In a panic, Krelsa returned from his trance. The voice could no longer be heard and suddenly he realized how terribly alone he was. If a servant or even worse the castle lord himself found him here, he would surely be punished.

Without thinking, Krelsa stormed into the first best room. He was greeted by a pleasant darkness and lowered himself, breathing heavily, against the rough door.

Waiting, he put his ear against the door to listen for the approaching footsteps.

Meanwhile, Krelsa had noticed that the footsteps sounded determined.

He almost made a jump of joy when he heard how the person had walked past the room he was in and the footsteps faded again.

To be sure, Krelsa continued to listen in silence for a while. Only when he was completely sure that the hallway was deserted did he dare to open the door a crack.

Doubtfully he peered around the corridor. The torches cast terrifying shadows on the walls while the flames were swayed by the wind. Krelsa breathed in and out deeply before leaving his hiding place. The rough door fell back into its lock.

Quickly he ran a hand through his brown hair and smoothed his shirt before turning to go back to the bedroom. It had to be almost time for dinner by now.

Krelsa had barely turned around when he was pushed against the wall with a loud bang. His vision went spotty for a moment when he heard an all too familiar voice whispering in his ear.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?"