XII: The Nut Room

Start from the beginning

"Squirrels!" Veruca chirped happily and wide eyed.

"Yeah. Squirrels." Willy nodded. "These squirrels are specially trained to get the nuts out of the shells."

"That's very clever." Emma said with a smile and Willy smiled faced to her.
Rupert Salt, however, seemed to have a different opinion on the matter. "You use squirrels? Why not use Oompa-Loompas?"

"Because, only squirrels can get the whole walnut out almost every time." Willy explained. "You see how they tap each one with their knuckles to make sure it's not bad?" One of the squirrels tapped the nut on the edge of the feeder, and held it up to its ear. "Oh, look!" Willy pointed to that squirrel. "I think that one's got a bad nut." The squirrel threw the nut behind itself. It tumbled down the swirly floor until it disappeared into the hole.

"They're adorable." Emma said mumbling with an adored look, Willy heard her and smiled at her.

Veruca looked up at her father. "Daddy, I want a squirrel!" She demanded. "Get me one of those squirrels. I want one."

Emma whispered in Charlie's ear. "I don't think this is going to end well." He nodded in agreement.

"Veruca, dear, you have many marvellous pets." Mr Salt definitely did not what to deal with this right now.

"All I've got at home is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six rabbits and two parakeets and three canaries and a green parrot and a turtle and a silly old hamster!" Veruca listed off. Wow, even with as many pets as she has, she's still not satisfied. Emma wondered what it took with this girl and how her parents ever put up with her. "I want a squirrel!" Veruca stomped her foot.

"All right, pet." Mr Salt gave in to his daughter's demands. "Daddy will get you a squirrel just as soon as he possibly can." Emma groaned and rolled her head back. Willy was watching the two Salts with a blank expression.

"But I don't want any old squirrel." Emma pinched the bridge of her nose. She didn't like where Veruca was going with this. "I want a trained squirrel."

Mr Salt sighed. "Very well." He looked at Willy. Willy looked back at Mr Salt, a fake smile on his face, knowing the question that was going to come out of Mr Salt's mouth. "Mr Wonka, how much do you want for one of these squirrels? Name your price." Veruca also looked up at Willy. A big smile was on her face, thinking that if she acted cute, that she'd get her way.

"Oh, they're not for sale." Willy denied them. "She can't have one."

Veruca's smile dropped. She turned to her father, absolutely fuming. "Daddy!" She threatened, as if that was going to change anything.

Rupert Salt just stared at his daughter, at a loss of words. "I'm sorry, darling." It wasn't Mr Salt who said it. It was Willy doing a perfect imitation of Rupert Salt's voice. "Mr Wonka's being unreasonable."

Veruca glared at Willy again before she turned it to her father. "If you won't get me a squirrel, I'll get one myself!" She decided. She slipped through the gate and descended into the squirrel's work area.

"Veruca!" Rupert Salt warned.

"Little girl?" Willy tried to call to Veruca. She ignored both of them.

"Veruca, come back here at once!" Rupert Salt called to her again, his voice a little more strict. "Veruca!"

Veruca looked around until she had her eyes set on the perfect squirrel. She started approaching it. All the squirrels stopped their work, and stared at the girl. "Little girl?" Willy tried warning her. "Don't touch that squirrel's nuts. It'll make him crazy!"

Again, Veruca ignored him. She marched up to her chosen squirrel. She and the squirrel looked each other straight in the eye. An evil grin came across Veruca's face and she reached out to the squirrel. "I'll have you!"