TWELVE

Addison wanted to break something.

To her unpleasant surprise, the feral's venom had a higher potency than they'd expected. One dose of the antivenom wasn't enough to neutralize it. Despite her accelerated healing, her symptoms had resurfaced with a vengeance a few hours later.

If that wasn't enough to put her in a bad mood, she had to listen to Naomi piss and moan because Gray refused to let Addison leave his apartment until the venom was completely out of her system.

"She can recover just as well at home—better even, because she'll be more comfortable in her own bed," Naomi argued as she glared at Gray with her arms crossed.

They faced off next to Gray's bed, where Addison hadn't moved from since she'd been put there the night before. Gray had already given her a second dose of the antivenom, and the worst of the symptoms had finally dissipated.

"Are you planning to skip work until she's in the clear?" he asked, his voice calm and reasonable. "Because there's no telling how long it'll take for that shit to work its way out, and she'll need constant monitoring in case she takes another turn."

"I'll manage," Naomi ground out. "Besides, you work, too."

"I can work remotely while my guys on site keep me updated on progress. There's plenty of paperwork I need to get caught up on, anyway."

"You can't miss work, Naomi," Addison interrupted, her voice a croak. She was exhausted. The last thing she wanted to do was move. "I'll be fine here." She was tempted to add that Gray's bed was actually more comfortable than her own but keep it to herself.

Naomi's irritable gaze swung between Addison and Gray before she eventually let out a sigh bordering on a growl. "Fine, fuck it. What do I know?" She dropped her hands to her hips and glared at Gray. "You better find me a spare key to this place. I'm not leaving her here unless I have full access."

To Addison's surprise, Gray didn't argue. "There's one stashed outside. I'll show you where it is."

As he left the room, Naomi looked to Addison. "I'll grab you some clothes from home and be back in a bit, okay?"

"Fine." Addison wouldn't admit she didn't mind wearing Gray's clothes. There was something personal about it, and she'd be lying if she said she didn't like it.

****

For the next two days, Gray's bed was Addison's home. The only times she left it were the occasional trips across the hall to the bathroom. Still unsteady on her feet, she allowed Gray to help with the short treks.

While the worst of the venom's effects had dissipated over the last day, she'd maintained a fever that would kill a human. The body aches hadn't been a picnic, either, but her condition was gradually improving.

Instead of leading her back to the bed after the most recent bathroom trip, Gray steered her toward the couch. "I'm going to change the sheets," he said, easing her onto the sectional. "You were sweating like crazy with that last flare up."

"I know," she grumbled. Her head felt too heavy to lift. She dropped it against the backrest. "I feel grody."

"I'll grab a bowl of water and a washcloth." Gray snagged a blanket from the end of the couch and draped it over her. "You can wipe down while I change the bedding." He'd had to switch out the sheets at least four times over the last forty-eight hours, but he'd done it without complaint. Addison wondered if the man was starting to regret watching over her. Most of the men she'd met over the years weren't the caretaker type.

Her brows were almost too tired to lift. "Do you see this rat's nest?" She pointed to her hair, which was tied up in a stringy, snarled mass at the top of her head. "I need a shower, not a sponge bath."