Chapter Eleven: The Anniversary

CHAPTER SIXTEEN 

(act ii)

THE ANNIVERSARY 

'there goes the neighborhood'

"One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time." ~ Carl Sagan

" ~ Carl Sagan

Stefan walked in with his hands in his pockets, looked around the kitchen, and said, "Your house is really nice. It's much better than the boarding house, it's lighter. I didn't get to see much last time I was here."

"Do you want a tour? I can show you the library. Here" I told him, giving him the half-filled shot glass of blood. Stefan grimaced at the sight of it but saw my raised eyebrow and drank it.

As he drank it, he choked on it, coughed loudly, looked at me with confused eyebrows, and coughed into his hand.

I laughed lightly and told him, "It has vervain in it. Sorry, I should've told you before you drank it. It's to build immunity and lessen your bloodlust. If you drink blood with vervain in it, you won't want to drink it."

As he stops coughing and replies, "That. That's actually smart. Why do I need to build an immunity?"

"Well, in case someone tries to take advantage of your weakness," I tell him, giving him the glass again, and he grimaces at it. He slowly takes it and gulps it down; he coughs again as he puts it on the table.

"On another note, you have a library?" he asks me softly.

I laughed lightly and said, "Of course I do. Come, I'll show you" I walked out of the kitchen with Stefan following me. We walked up the stairs and walked into the library. Stefan let out an appreciative whistle and scanned the massive library.

"We have lost the abstract sense of beauty," I told him as I trailed my hands across the bookshelves.

"Oscar Wilde," Stefan noted. "If you must die, I'll envy even the earth that wraps your body," he replied softly as he watched me look at the books. I froze and turned to him slowly. "Albert Camus, State of Siege," I whispered.

Stefan walked towards me and nodded slowly, "You Caroline Forbes are slowly become anima mia. I don't know how but you plague my thoughts...my dreams. You've bewitched me, how?" He trailed his finger down my cheek towards my neck. My blood roared in my ears.

How? This wasn't supposed to happen. He was supposed to love Elena, Katherine's look alike.

"I haven't used magic on you, Stefan. If I did, you would most definitely feel it. What about Elena?" I asked, looking into his eyes and searching for any truth in his statements.