Chapter 5: Matchmaking

After a little bit of awkwardness, I head off to locate Abuela and Isabela so we can set Mariano and Dolores up together. I find them dancing with tia and tio, Abuela sees me and smiles. We look over at Dolores who is staring longingly at Mariano. Abuela replies in a voice only Isa and I can hear, "Okay, Isabela you go let Mariano know that you don't want to marry him. After she does Mirabel, you ask him what is wrong and then take him over to Dolores. The rest should fall into place on its own."

We both nod and Isabela goes over and tells him how she doesn't want to marry and how she only sees him as a really good friend. Though we see he understands, he does look quite sad, after Isa walks back to us, I go over and say, "Hey Mariano, why so blue?"

"I just have so much love inside," He answers, I slowly walk him over to Dolores as I say, "You know, I've got this cousin too, have you met Dolores?" I say this as I reach her. She smiles and replies, "Okay, I'll take it from here, goodbye."

I walk over to my sister and Abuela, as Dolores and Mariano hold hands, we hear her say, "You talk so loud, you take care of your mother and you make her proud. You write your own poetry every night when you go to sleep, and I am seizing the moment, so would you wake up and notice me?"

"Dolores, I see you," he responds and she then goes, "And I hear you." Isabela, Abuela, and I share high fives as we hear him say, "Let's get married." "Slow down," she answers back which causes Isa and I to giggle. The two walk over to us, and Dolores is the happiest I have ever seen her, that even Abuela has a smile on her face happy for her granddaughter.

Meanwhile, I decide to sneak away again while everyone seems busy, unaware that Camilo and Bruno saw me leave and are now quietly following me. I slide into my room, and then start singing:

.

                                    Camilo's POV
I whisper to Bruno, so my little cousin doesn't hear, "I don't understand, things are changing, but she is still sad." I have never really dealt much with depression so I don't fully understand, I mean yes I struggle with being constantly sad but it doesn't make sense to my brain.

Bruno also responds in a whisper, "Depression, especially after years of traumatic damage, doesn't just go away automatically. It takes lots of healing, but not the kind of healing my sister can do. It will be a while before she will be able to heal, we will all have to show her that she can, that it is safe for her to."

I look at my tio surprised, "How do you know so much about it, tio Bruno?"

"Like you both, I also struggle with depression, and I had to put up with Abuela (my mother's) abuse for 40 years before I went into hiding. I also had to deal with the abuse of the town, all of that made me withdraw. Eventually, it got to where I was invisible unless Abuela or one of the townsfolk desperately need a vision, after I was literally pushed aside until the next needed vision. It got quite lonely until Isabela and Dolores came along, they were the only ones who, from toddlers until you and Mirabel were toddlers, really spent time with me. Luisa would until she got her strength power at five and Mama would overwork her. Isabela and Dolores would continue to come visit until I went and hid. They usually would have to sneak away, Dolores and Juiletta were the only ones who knew I was hiding in the walls." Bruno answers, which leaves me speechless in surprise.