Chapter 16

Their stay in Olympia lasted a lot longer than they would have really wanted. All the Eternals that had been awakened during the battle against Arishem would need to be able to leave that godforsaken rock at one point or the other. They deserved a shot at life like any other. When the last of them would finally leave, they were tasked to destroy the planet. Whatever technology would be left there couldn't fall into the wrong hands. Unfortunately, as beautiful as the whole galaxy was, it was also full of ugly hearted people who would stop at nothing to get what they wanted. Thanos had been the proof of that.

They still needed to deal with Eros. Arishem hadn't produced any more of him, probably stopping at the same time as he had done with Thanos. All Eros had done, working for Arishem, betraying the Eternals, he had done to get his brother back. Grieving was difficult for everybody and Eros had been alone through the whole process. Even if Thanos had done horrible things, trying to erase half the galaxy, he was still his brother. That wasn't a valid excuse for what Eros had done. Getting Thanos back could mean that the man would start his start again, without the infinity stones this time. That risk, Arishem hadn't been willing to take. They would not either.

Eros was defeated both physically and mentally. He wasn't arguing anymore. The Eternals were trying to have empathy for him as much as they could. Eros would be taken to a remote planet inhabited with a civilization that wasn't advanced enough yet to reach interstellar travel. The decision had not been reached out of cruelty or even as a punishment. Eros would need to face his grief at one point or the other. Then, the man would be able to move on. Thena had wanted to bring back Gilgamesh so badly. Had he been like Thanos - which was really impossible to even imagine - Thena wouldn't have gone that far.

All the Phastos working together were a force to reckon with. They were building ships after ships with everything and anything they would find on the planet. They didn't want to stay a second more than necessary in that disappointing place. The engineer also talked a lot with Ajak, working on her memory as much as he could. She still didn't have access to them. Phastos was trying his best but his best wasn't enough. They were about to leave. The question of Gilgamesh was on every member on their team's lips. To download Gilgamesh's memories on Olympia or once back on Earth wouldn't change anything.

Phastos didn't have any other idea on how to make it work completely. He actually asked all the other reiterations of himself in a huge brainstorming session but none of them had a better idea. Thena doubted that anybody in the whole galaxy would be able to find a solution if Phastos hadn't been able to. The procedure needed to happen now, giving time to Thena to maybe by being with him, by talking to him, to bring Gilgamesh back. At least, he would remember her name. She had to hold on to that.

Phastos checked and double checked each step of the procedure thoroughly. He hoped that it would change the outcome. It didn't. Gilgamesh reacted exactly like Ajak had done, knowing his team names. He could now fonction on his own. This would be different from the Mahd Wy'ry. He wouldn't be violent at times like she had been but he might never know more than her name. How Gilgamesh had dealt with her forgetting him and then coming back, she didn't know. He tended to stay close to Thena of all the people on the ship. Maybe there was something underneath, a feeling, an instinct that was bringing him toward her even though he couldn't remember everything they had shared during centuries.

The journey back was awfully slow. They had taken the screening route to be able to drop other Eternals to their respective destination. Earth was actually one of the further planets, in one of the branches of its galaxy. Phastos was thinking about his husband and son. They must be so worried. Separation had been hard when the engineer had gone to fight against Tiamut but his family had agreed to that. Arishem had just taken him without a warning. Thena could just imagine the stress the family must be in at the moment.