𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 : 𝕊𝕀ℂ𝕂

Start from the beginning

Kuroo pushed open the sliding door and entered the room which they were sharing with the Karasuno team. It was basically a hall. Everyone was engaged in their own business. Only Kageyama sat dejectedly beside his sister who was sleeping at this time. There was a wet towel placed on her head and she panted lightly in her uncomfortable sleep.

“ Is it any better ?” The Nekoma captain asked sitting beside the futon, facing Kageyama who shook his head, slowly. “ I see. Don't worry she'll get better by tomorrow—”

“ Kotei doesn't fall sick so easily.” Kuroo shut up when Kageyama expressed his true feelings.“ It's a very rare case.”

“ Now that you say it, she played all by herself today. Don't you think it must have been too lonely for her ?” Kuroo said folding his legs to sit in a more comfortable position.

Kageyama didn't reply but just stared at Kotei's face. He was finally realising his mistake. Yachi had said something similar before.

“ Well, I should get going. I have to take a shower. If you need something don't hesitate to speak up,” Kuroo said and got up.

Kageyama bowed gratefully as the older took his leave. Putting a hand over her head he lightly caressed her hair.

Later that night Kotei was woken up by a nudge and she immediately closed her eyes when the bright light pierced her gaze. Adjusting her eyes to the bulb she looked beside her to see Kageyama trying to wake her up.“Kotei, you have to eat something. Get up slowly.”

The girl had lost her appetite by then. Her entire body was hurting so much, she felt sick all over. Shaking her head, she went under the covers again.

“ Please, Kotei. You have to eat to regain your strength.” But she was persistent.

Kageyama couldn't bring himself to smack her and force her to eat the food. Not after all the guilt he bore. He sighed putting down the tray. Yaku who had noticed everything offered his help.

“ Here, give me that. I'll feed her.”

“ Huh ? You don't have to do that. She's big enough to eat by herself.”
Yaku stared at him, dumbfounded.“She's sick and just a child. It's better to feed her.”

Well, you can't blame Kageyama. Kotei had seldom fallen ill before and Miwa was usually the one to take care of her. So he had no experience of this stuff.

“ Kotei, wanna hear a story ? Kotei-chan !” Yaku lightly patted her shoulder and the little girl finally peeked from beneath the covers.“ If you take the first bite, nii-chan will tell you a story.”

“ Story ? What story ?” She was starting to get curious but still refused to get up.

“ What story do you want to hear ?”

“ A happy one,” she said after some thinking.

“ Okay. For that you have to take a bite.”

Kotei groaned slowly losing her interest. But she also wanted to hear the story. Unwillingly sitting up, she opened her mouth obediently as Yaku fed her.

“ Brilliant. Okay, here goes.....once upon a time.....”

Kageyama looked at the exchange in envy. Sometimes he got the feel that he's not a good brother. It's true kids are afraid of him. But this is his own sister we're talking about. He blamed himself for not spending more time with her.

“...and they lived happily ever after.” Kotei’s face gave a disgusted look as Yaku fed her the last bite. It was hell, believe her.“ Kageyama, it's better if she gets as much rest as possible. Are you sure you want her to keep here ? We can arrange a different room for her.”