Chapter 5

"Jess, wake up," shouted Nick. Jessica jolted awake in a cold sweat. Her eyes blinked repeatedly as she tried to breathe. Nick stared at her with great concern. He grabbed her hand to help her calm .
"Jeez, dude, you were yelling. What happened?" Asked Nick.
"Y-yeah," she muttered. "Just a bad dream, that's all."
"Do you want to talk about it? I know Ty's making us breakfast. We can talk about it then if you want."
Jessica sighed. "It's kind of stupid, actually."
"Jessica Saelim, nothing you have to say is stupid. You had a nightmare, that stupid. It's okay, I'm not gonna judge you. What's bothering you?"
"It was about the Barbashev house. I was there, it was old and musty, and when I walked in the living room, Miro was there. He was angry and he charged at me. It was terrifying."
Nick rubbed Jessica's back and slowly pulled her into a hug. "Aw Jess, I'm sorry. When we go, you won't be left alone at all. We'll be there to protect you. And that's a promise," he smiled. Jessica smiled back as the two stood up.
"Thanks, Nicky, I really appreciate it."
The two trolled downstairs into the kitchen, decorated with a Monet print and a "Saturday Is For The Boys" flag. Tyler stood by the stainless steel oven, his dark hair tied back into a man-bun. He turned around from his pancakes and smiled.
"Good morning, did you all sleep well? Jess?" He asked.
"Not too well, actually," muttered Jessica. "Nice apron, by the way."
Tyler smiled and looked down at his apron, which read Nice rack. "Haha, thank you, Addie bought it for me. What was with the yelling this morning, by the way?"
Jessica sighed. "I had a really bad dream."
"I'm sorry, Jess, hopefully these pancakes will cheer you up," he smiled. The other two grabbed plates that Tyler delicately placed two pancakes on. They sat down at their small kitchen table. As they poured syrup on their pancakes, Nick's phone began to ring. He sighed as he looked at the number.
"It's Reese. I don't want to answer this at all," he groaned.
"She could be apologizing," replied Tyler. Nick sighed as he answered the phone.
"Hey Nick, listen, I know I was acting insane last night. I guess I was just frustrated with the world, and you guys. I want to apologize. I'm really sorry for all the trouble I caused," sobbed Reese.
"You should apologize to Jess, she's one of my closest friends and you've been nothing but awful to her because of our friendship," replied Nick. He turned the phone to Jessica, who gave him a death stare because she was in the middle of chewing.
"Jessica," choked Reese. "I know we got off on the wrong foot, and I want to apologize for the damage that I've caused. I want to make it up to you. The Sigma Theta Pi house is having a bit of a party Friday and Saturday night, and I want to invite you guys to make up for it."
"Friday night we're going to an abandoned mansion for our podcast," said Nick. "Maybe Saturday?"
"Oooh, can I go Friday?" Reese pleaded.
"No, it's only for the podcast hosts," interrupted Jessica with a mouthful of pancakes.
"Oh bummer. It's the Barbashev house, isn't it?"
"Yeah, why?" Nick asked with concern.
"Maybe I'll surprise you."
Nick immediately hung up the phone and sighed. Tyler patted his back as he hung his head in shame.
"Nicky my boy, if she comes, we'll just scare her," suggested Tyler. "I know it won't be that hard."
"Ty, that's harsh. I shouldn't have said anything," Nick sighed. The group continued to eat until someone knocked on the front door. Nick shot up with excitement and bolted towards the door. Daniel stood at the door, exhausted.
"Jeez, Danny boy, what happened to you?" Nick asked.
"Couldn't sleep. Jackie was bothering me about Jessica."
"Jackie? Oh, wait, come in," he realized. Daniel walked in and immediately laid down on the couch. He groaned as Nick sat down beside him.
"Yeah, Jess, you have an admirer. Jackie is in love with you," he yelled.
"Oh, I know, we're going out to lunch Saturday," Jessica yelled back.
"What?"
"Yeah, he asked me out to lunch."
"No, you're not going."
"Danny, I'm an adult."
"Jess, he's going to shatter your heart!"
Jessica glared at Daniel until Tyler began taking the dishes from the table. As he began washing the dishes, Danny walked over to Jessica.
"Promise me one thing. Take things slow. Don't be surprised if he ghosts you."
"What if I ghost him first?"
"What? You? Ghosting someone?"
"Yeah."
"So I don't have to worry about you? It's his heart I gotta be concerned about?"
"Maybe. I could be saying that just to throw you off."
Danny chuckles. "Jess, you're an absolute menace. Let's go record this podcast."
The group raced up the stairs, leaving Tyler in the kitchen to wash the dishes.
"Oh, come on!" He yelled as he slammed a pan in the sink. He sprinted up the stairs to catch up with everyone, breathing heavily.

The group gathered their notes and took a collective sigh. Jessica flipped a switch and a light that read "recording" immediately lit up. A vocal intro, which sounds like Jessica, began to play in their headphones.
"This episode of The Beyond Life Gotcha Guys is sponsored by Helen's Coffee House on E Davis Boulevard, out on the Davis Islands. Try their pumpkin spice lattes, and their new pumpkin cinnamon pancakes!"
As the vocal recording ends, Jessica takes a deep breath as eerie music begins to play.
"Welcome back to the Beyond Life Gotcha Guys. I'm your host, Jessica Saelim, but you can call me Jess or Jessie. I'm here with Nick Hansen, Tyler Westlake, and Daniel Johnston. In today's episode, we will be talking about the life, death, and legacy of Miro Barbushkavich Barbashev."