17 : king vs king

{ chapter 17 : king vs king }

❄️❄️

Susan and Lucy had already left on horseback to find Aslan, hoping that they would get past the Telmarine soldiers without a problem. The more time that Peter gave them, the more likely they were to bring the lion back to the battle but that didn't stop them from all worrying.

Zarina still believed that this was a stupid plan, she was tying her boots up and thinking about other possibilities that could buy them enough time for the sisters to return with her father. It was difficult though and she knew that if they didn't win then the consequences would be detrimental.

"How's your ankle?" Edmund asked carefully stepping into the room, not too sure what the response would be.

"I'm fine." She replied shortly, looking up at him from her eyelashes with a stern expression. "Now, what do you actually want to talk about? You wouldn't be here unless it was important, so what is it?"

He took a seat next to her on the smooth rock. "You need to tell Peter the truth."

"The truth about what? How stupid this plan is?"

"No, the truth about your feelings."

Zarina sent him a warning look, knowing what he was trying to say but not wanting to talk about it. "Edmund-"

"No, I'm sick of seeing the two of you pining like sad dogs!" The boy huffed angrily, running his hands through his hair and then ruffling through his pockets. "Before we went back to London, everything was perfect and it needs to go back to that, it has to."

"Things have changed-"

"No, no, they haven't." He looked into the palm of his hand where he held a small object, attempting to keep it covered to stop the girl from seeing it.

However, Zarina could see that he was hiding something and reached over to find out what lay in the palm of his hand. "What's that?"

"This is what Peter has been looking for ever since we got back to Narnia, this is what he was worried you'd find in his trunk. This is the reason why you need to be honest."

Zarina couldn't say anything, she just held onto the ring carefully between her fingers as though it was the most precious thing that she had ever handled in her life. The delicate band was exactly what she had expected when they'd eventually get married but she couldn't quite believe that this was the actual ring Peter would have used. This was her engagement ring...if things had worked out.

"Just tell him how you feel, before it's too late." Edmund muttered, turning on his heel and leaving to give her some time to think.

The Narnian soldiers were lined up around the fortress, ready to support their king who was putting his own life on the line to take on Miraz; some of the other soldiers were waiting below the fortress, looking over the strategy plan one more time and preparing their weapons. If Miraz did not keep to his word, then they would be ready to fight back, something that they were almost certain of.