13 : a common enemy

{ chapter 13 : a common enemy }

❄️❄️

Deciding that staying close to the river wasn't a good idea, the children made their way back into the forest where it was easier to take cover and hide if any soldiers got too close. Peter led them, moving quickly because they didn't have time to mess around and soon they arrived at the cliff where Lucy had sworn to see Aslan.

"So, where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" He asked, pointing across the river to the edge where his sister had pointed out the lion.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups." Lucy huffed, halting her steps and standing with her hands on her hips. "I don't think I saw him; I did see him."

Trumpkin furrowed his brows in confusion, muttering to himself. "I am a grown-up."

"It was right over..."

Before she had the chance to point out where she had seen the lion, the ground beneath her feet caved in and Lucy fell below. The siblings were terrified that she had fallen to her death, with the river so far below them and nothing to stop her from falling. "Lucy!" They all ran to the edge of the cliff and were more than happy to see that Lucy had fallen but only onto the banking just below, she was perfectly fine and dusted the dirt from her knees.

"...here."

Deciding that their only option was to try and track down the lion, the children started walking through a shallower part of the river with their new guide Trumpkin; someone who knew that area better than any of them because it had been hundreds of years. Lucy walked ahead with the dwarf, who stopped her from slipping on the rocks beneath their feet and Susan stayed in the middle with Edmund as they discussed the obvious changes to Narnia.

At the back were Peter and Zarina, who walked in silence because it was hard for them to talk about anything. When they were last here, they were in love and ready to spend the rest of their lives together but after being transported back in time, words seemed to fall short between them. Zarina stepped forward and felt her shoe slip against the slippery stone underneath her; her legs wobbled and she was sure that she was going to fall into the river when two hands grabbed her quickly.

She looked up, her face was very close to his and they shared a small moment between each other; they stared into each other's eyes until Peter cleared his throat and helped her to stand up without any assistance. Deciding not to dwell on the moment, she chuckled slightly and he joined her, both of them trying to escape the tension between them and both of them hoping that the others hadn't noticed that they'd fallen behind.

Eventually the sun set and it was time to get some rest because travelling through Narnia in the dark was not a wise choice to make; not when it had become more ruthless since they were last there. The girls slept on one side of the fire and the boys slept on the other. It seemed that Edmund and Peter fell asleep rather quickly, both of them tired from the journey that day but the girls were finding it harder to drift off.