Chapter Fourteen, The Truth

Start from the beginning

Except... He never finished his spell. He never ended the silence spell he started. So that means I could tell people about it, but would they really believe me? I have to tell people I trust, people that trust me too. I have to tell them as soon as possible. "U-Um... I have to use the bathroom." I whispered before slipping out of the silky bed. My uncle didn't reply, most likely already asleep. I calmly walked into the bathroom and took a deep breath, trying to calm my buzzing nerves. It'll be okay, I just have to stay calm and think of a way to explain it. And decide who to tell, of course. I sat down on the closed toilet seat and rubbed my face. Anxiety is a pest when you have something important to do. Okay, first I definitely need to tell Raine and Darius. Maybe Daryl too, I can trust him to not do anything rash. Who else should I tell? Maybe the captain of the guard? All of the guards have been on the edge of mutiny for a while, and it would be rather easy to convince them to stop Belos, or at least not protect him when an attack is commenced. Yes, I'll send all of the people I need to talk to a letter from "The Golden Guard", and discreetly slip them under the doors of their rooms. But first I need to leave this room via an excuse. Well I'm not in pajamas, I can just say that I'm fetching them for the night. Now that I've got a plan,I need to put it into action. First I'm going to use the bathroom, because I actually do need to.

After exiting the bathroom, I looked over at the sleeping beast that was my uncle and sighed. "I'm going to get my jammies." I mumbled loud enough for him to hear and left the room, careful not to shine light from the hall onto his face. I quickly speed-walked to my room and popped open my desk drawer, getting out envelopes and paper. As a kid, I loved to do things for my uncle's approval. I wrote letters for him and delivered them to people. Not that I'm any different now, but I know some of the truth behind him. I know enough to be wary of what I do with him. I began writing neatly and quickly, writing somewhat of the same message for every envelope. I also added a meeting time for tomorrow night to discuss the note's contents. After placing each small paper into pretty envelopes, I stamped them with warm wax and admired my own work. I just loved making letters, it brings me happiness from my childhood I suppose. I then put all of the letters into a small messenger bag and began to deliver every message to what I was sure was the correct room for each person.

What I did not expect was for a door to open upon me slipping the letter through. It was Darius', thank goodness, but it still startled me. "What are you doing at this hour child? Is that old geezer working you to the bone tonight?" He jeered and I nervously smiled. "Well, open the letter and find out. Preferably not in the hall." I said and he tilted his head, dropping his initial smile. "Well alright, come in, and I'll read it while you're still here." He said and grabbed my arm, pulling me into his room. He closed the door and picked up the letter using his magic, letting out a tired sigh as he sat down in front of his fireplace. I liked that most every room had a small fireplace, it gave a homey feel that helped me get comfortable easier. I sat down beside him and watched as he retrieved his reading glasses via magic. He opened up the beige paper envelope and began to read the letter. I watched the fire while nervously fidgeting. I was very bad at talking to adults, even the ones that I trusted for the most part. I think it's because of my unfortunate experiences with my uncle. After a while of silence, Darius set the paper and envelope aside, sighing deeply. He lightly rubbed the bridge of his nose in an attempt to ward off sleep and focus.

"... Hunter, I'm very glad you gave me this letter. But I need to know who else you've delivered this knowledge to." He started off. I looked up at him and tensed up when he rubbed my back. I leaned onto his chest and smiled, relaxing as I got used to the feeling. He's really warm and comforting, he's one of my favorite people. Even though I don't know him that well, I feel like I can trust him. "Um, well I delivered to the Bard Covenhead, the  Head Librarian, and the Captain of the Guard." I told him while enjoying the gentle affection I was receiving. "Very good choices, you don't plan on telling anyone else quite yet, do you?" He questioned and took his reading glasses off. "No, I only thought to tell specifically them and you. Should I tell other people too?" I asked and Darius shook his head. "No, Let me handle it. You're just a kid, You don't need to handle that responsibility. For now, lay low and go along with whatever Belos has planned for you. Okay? I'll lead this meeting, you just rest and I'll message you for any further instructions." He told me and placed a blanket on me. "You should get a good night's rest for me, alright buddy?" The half-witch half-abomination said as I yawned. "Okay." I mumbled and got comfortable laying on him. He wrapped his arms around me and slowly combed his fingers through my hair. I found very easy rest in what my mind registered as the dad I never had.

I awoke later to the same feeling I fell asleep to, to my pleasant surprise. Darius' slow breathing, and his warm skin comforting me with his hertbeat. I looked up at the sleeping man and yawned, stretching as my body woke up slowly. I slipped out of his big warm arms and got up, looking around. His room was pretty messy, and had plenty of abomination goop laying around. His desk had pictures from high school, and one of his family. I shouldn't snoop too much, it was nice enough of him to let me stay in here for the night. But I should really get going and have breakfast with Belos. I hurried along to my room and got dressed quickly before rushing to the main dining room. Belos was already seated, eating silently. He looked up from his food to see me. "Sorry- I um, fell asleep in my room." I fakely excused myself and sat down. "It's quite fine Hunter, you were quite bothersome last night anyways." He sighed and continued to eat. A servant placed a dish in front of my seat and bowed before leaving the table. I sat down and sighed, slumping in my seat. Knowing what Belos was really planning weighed on my mind.

The Golden GiftOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara