CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT.

Começar do início

"At most," Mira huffed.

"Speak for yourselves," Wyatt heaved. "I feel like I have two minutes."

"Then we better hurry," Jack said. "Mira, Graham, and Everett, you guys head for the border and tell Tiberius what's going on."

Lavender straightened. "Why should—"

"Because Tiberius thinks witches took me, okay?" Jack snapped. "If he sees you, he'll kill you and ask questions later. Besides, Everett knows where moonlight's brightest spot is, so he can bring the others back there."

"He's right, Lavender," Violet said. "Besides, Jack will need our help with Isaac, or Tiberius will send his wolves to war on our brothers and sisters. If that werewolf uses the stone, he won't only put us in danger. He'll be killing one wolf king and permanently scarring the other, and that will break the balance of nature. When nature fights back, nobody wins."

"But—"

"We are servants of the Mother," Violet said sternly. "Not her rulers. We protect her, whether that means helping the werewolves or not. Understand?"

Philomena took Lavender's wrist, and Lavender's mouth clamped shut. She nodded. "Yes, sister."

"The witch can take my place," Graham said, clenching his fists. "I'm going to deal with my brother. Unless you don't trust me?"

"Can you face him now?" Jack raised a brow. "If it came to . . . to doing what needed to be done."

Graham tilted his head. "You finally sound like a wolf king." His jaw clenched. "My brother's been on the edge for years. I gave up hope on him when he sent you to the trolls."

Jack blinked. "Seriously?"

"Yes, well," he cleared his throat. "Don't make a thing of it. At any rate, I'm coming with you."

"You don't trust us to protect him?" Philomena teased.

"Protecting a king is my job," Graham argued. Jack decided not to point out that for the first time, Graham had called him a king without any trace of mockery. "Besides, once I get in range of the moonstone, this . . . fatigue"—he said with disgust—"will fade."

"Fine," Jack said. "Wyatt, can you—"

"Protect Everett?" Wyatt was already at Everett's other side, saluting. "With my life, sir! In case, you know, Mira passes out or something."

"Goodness," Mira murmured, "I hope I don't."

"You'll be fine," Everett assured her. "But just to be safe, I'll ride on Wyatt, okay? Wyatt, don't you say a word!" he snapped as Wyatt's smile turned suggestive.

"I didn't, I didn't!" Wyatt defended, still grinning, and he and Mira transformed. Their pupils turned to slits, their sizes grew, and suddenly two giant wolves stood in their places. Wyatt knelt for Everett, and Everett squeezed Jack's arm.

"Don't you do something stupid," he warned.

"Me?" Jack tried to joke, but Everett only looked exasperated before climbing onto Wyatt, and the three vanished into the forest.

"Ready?" Violet asked Jack.

"No," Jack admitted, stuffing his satchel with as many mirrors as he could. "Let's go."

Find me, Tiberius, he thought desperately as he climbed onto a transformed Graham's back. Find me.

His last plea before Graham and the witches ran in the opposite direction of the Everett, Mira, and Wyatt was that Tiberius hear him.