Chapter Twelve

"Ready to go, y/n?" you heard Heizou shouting from downstairs. "Yeah, one moment!" you screamed from your room trying to put your hair up in a bun, because it was hot as heck outside. In your country the weather was kinda bad, but here, you felt like you could melt at any moment.

After you finished, you quickly ran down the stairs, and left the building with your friend. You saw that he had a backpack full of necessary items for investigations, which made you offer help. "Do you need help carrying that? I feel like I'm not doing much by just walking here beside you."

"No no, it's okay. Besides, our destination is like a ten minute walk from here. Thank you for offering though." he gave you a smile. For a few minutes after that both of you walked silently, just looking around, which was a little bit awkward.

"Sooo, have you had cases like this before?" you asked to break the silence. "A few, not much though. Most of my jobs are just finding lost pets or something. Why?" the detective turned his head your way. "It's just that I'm a little nervous. I was hoping I could count on you, if I mess up."

"Me being a detective is not just a title, you know. I know my stuff." he crossed his arms, and looked away. "I didn't mean it to sound offensive! I guess it did though..." you tried apologizing which he responded to with a laugh. "I'm just teasing, I know you didn't mean to offend me. I didn't get offened either. I can see why you're nervous, you've been kind of put on the spot recently."

"I could say I'm trying my best, but in reality I have no idea what I'm doing. You studied all these years to get this job, yet you accept someone who knows nothing about it." you stated. Suddenly you noticed that he stopped in his tracks, and took a big breath. Right after that he placed his hands on your shoulders and looked at you in the eyes.

"Listen, on the night I met you, I saw potential in you. Me studying to become a detective just makes me a mentor in this case. I am here to help you out. And while you're not my full-time co-worker, you are still my detective partner, who I'd like to help out to reach big accomplishment. I want you to remember this. Whenever we get a job together, I'd like you to relax, because you don't have to be the only one thinking. That is why there's two of us."

His words made you shocked, you didn't even blink for a few seconds. You did start to get flustered though, so you quickly turned away, which made him get his hands off of you. "Thank you for saying that..."

"Oh, it's nothing really. Also even if it weren't for asking you to be my detective partner, I would've asked for your number either way."

"What?"

"Nothing."

I heard every word Heizou said loud and clear.

• • •

"Here we are!" he happily exclaimed when you got to the address. You couldn't believe your eyes. This man lived in an even bigger mansion than what he gave you for the week? Just how can he afford all of these?

Heizou saw that you didn't move an inch, so he spoke to you to knock you out of your thoughts. "Come on in, it's really hot outside isn't it... We've got work to do!" the detective proceeded to grab your wrist and take you inside the gate, which was already opened for you.

The inner layout of the building looked like a castle's. You didn't even know how to act around the person who owns this. He's so rich, it's frightening at this point.

"Ah, Heizou! You finally arrived with your new partner that you talked a lot about. It's nice to meet you, Heizou's partner!" you heard a familiar voice come from behind you. You turned arount to see who it was and...

"Tomo!? What...?" you were even more surprised to see your old friend here. "Y/n? Wow, I never thought it'd be you! That is a surprise!" he smiled at you. "I thought you moved to another country and all... I've totally lost contact with you!" you stared at him.

"Well that's what you're seeing right now. We moved to this country with my family." your friend enlightened you. "Tomo, I have so many questions... Were you always this.. rich? Oh and, when did you get a fiancée?!" you showered him with questions.

"Whoa, calm down a bit. I promise I'll answer all of your questions, but can we focus on finding where Mary went...?" he questioned nervously. "Her name is Mary? Such a pretty name! But okay okay, I'm sorry for getting carried away." you apologized.

"Alright, then let's get on th-..." Heizou started, but his sentence was interrupted by the front doors opening. The three of you turned around, and saw a very beautiful woman. She had long black hair, with fancy clothes, and a sad look on her face.

"Mary?!" Tomo ran over to her. "Well, uh... case solved, guys!" Heizou laughed, confused. "Where were you all this time? Why didn't you answer my calls or my texts? I thought something happend to you! I contacted the cops, and also a detective to find you, yet you turn up by yourself?" he raised his voice angrily.

"..." the lady didn't answer and just had her head lowered. "At least I'm glad you're alive. Are you okay, did anything happen?" now his tone was worried. "I'll explain everything." she said quietly.

"On the night we had our fight, I left because in these cases I just go out to calm myself down, and take a breather. This time I went further in the city and due to me being careless, a group of people actually kidnapped me. They managed to keep me for a few days, but I managed to escape this morning. Of course I've sent the address to the police already, they're on their way. They will also give us a visit. And before you ask, no they haven't done anything to me and I don't know what they wanted, because they were speaking a language I did not understand." she went over everything.

"You know that you're lucky they didn't do anything to you, right? You shouldn't go deep in this city at night alone!" Tomo scolded her. "I know, it was absolutely foolish of me to do that. I will do anything to make up for it, really!" Mary looked him in the eyes.

"I've got an idea. Since you made me worried with you running away and you also made me call my precious friends outside from the country to search for you..." he started, but the woman interrupted him. "My gosh, you guys are not even from here?" she asked the two of you surprisedly.

"Yup, but what matters is you're safe, miss." Heizou gave him a smile. "I am so sorry, this is all because of my stupidity!" she apologized to the both of you. "It's fine, really. Besides, what Heizou said is the most important. You're safe, so we're happy." you reassured her.

"You kind soul..." Mary got emotional. "Okay, let me finish what I've started to say! You're going to make up for this, with inviting us all out for food!" Tomo exclaimed. His fiancée didn't say anything, she just gave him a tight hug. "Thank you for trying to look for me, and I really am sorry for what happened..." Tomo hugged her back.

"Awh, that's sweet, but I feel so single." you said quietly. You heard that Heizou responded with something, but you couldn't make it out at all. "What was it you said?" you looked over at him. "Oh, don't worry about it." he chuckled.

"Alright everyone, then it's time to go out for food!"