9 THE GARDEN IN THE CLOUDS

Vazinell gave up his life as assistant Masterbuilder of Byzantia to sail between the universes. Thanks to Aran's encouragement, he picked up his old handicraft and gradually felt his old skills awaken. Together with Bartael, harbor master of the almost finished Portus Jaraga, and Mannael he made work of a rampart around the planned palace. They stamped up high dunes to hold the meager atmosphere so that they could fertilize the first plantations.

Thanks to the high dunes, the thin layer of air became a permanent phenomenon. For the necessary light source, they counted on Ardor because they believed that his impasse could not last that long anymore. If not, they sooner or later would have become obliged to ask the assistance of one of the lords of a neighboring universe. They wanted to avoid such a thing at all costs because the announcement of that unpleasant truth could mean the end of Ardor.

Bartael tried to learn as much as possible from the experienced universe sailor and asked:

'Why should the wind embankments lie so far away from the palace garden, Vazinell? Look at that tremendous void.' He nodded understandingly and showed him the design with the ground plan of the palace, after which Bartael gave an admiring sound. Vazinell pointed to the central building and said:

'The palace of a Mantlelord should never be too small and not be simple either. Besides the ports, this is what a visitor sees when he lands, coming out of the free space. This building serves to leave the first impression on a visitor and that unique opportunity is only given once.'

'But what do all these halls, terraces, towers, squares, and rooms serve for, for we are not that numerous? What I see here, looks like a city!'

'Yes, you see that well and I even hope that soon expansion will be necessary.'

'Why? I know that Tarukopolis is a kind of pleasure ground with many visitors coming from all over our universe cluster, but here, on the contrary, there is nothing to be found!'

'No, Bartael, not yet, that will depend on the Mantlelord or his successor. A palace is nothing more than a shell and according to my humble opinion, even a modest conch is allowed to be quite impressive. Yet it is of greater importance "who" comes on a frequent basis and even more important are the issues one discusses there. If Ardor recovers, he will have to learn the noble art of the political and social manners very quickly or else his empire will be over before it has begun.'

'Then I am glad that I will reside in Portus Jaraga because all these complications are beyond my understanding. I only know that they are packing each other with all kinds of ambiguities and hidden truths, sweet as candy but just as sharp as daggers, so they never can trust anyone. I think I'd rather live out there in a hut instead of here in a golden cage.'

'Why do you think I went sailing again, friend?' At about the same time, the long wait of the Methas seemed over, for a hopeful clarity spread over the rudimentary mantle palace. The twilight disappeared and a young star revealed itself to the zenith. Ardor, Ramael, Schruttone, and Karendell emerged from the depth, which immediately caused a large gathering of Methas. All longed for the words of their predecessor for so long, and now he finally had arrived to speak:

'Methas, here I am! Do not fear because here I shall stay! With the help of you all, I will overcome every difficulty and all obstacles. We will take our place among the universes and elevate Urantium into a jewel in the crown of Di'aull! I only ask for a little bit more patience after which I will outline our final route.' Those present cheered at him, enchanted by his presence and rejoiced by the light rays of the newborn star.

There seemed to be an end to the dark days. They ignored Ardor's demand for even more patience, for hope took root in their minds like a dominant usurious plant. After Ardor became acquainted with the harbor masters, he burdened large numbers of Help-Metha's with the responsibility over the many tasks that were necessary to govern the new empire. During the course of several revolutions of Sol Elpida, the new sun, he discussed many matters with Vazinell.