3: The Dreaming

THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS

As Susie opened her eyes, she found herself in another world.

She was standing on a massive bridge, its stoned path leading to the gates of a shining palace in the distance. It was surrounded by blooming green hills, flowing rivers and the warm rays of sunlight flooding through its windows - but that wasn't nearly the most surprising thing.

There were other people like her on the bridge, some quite young, some quite old. And just some in between.

They were watching the castle in awe, as if they had never witnessed such beauty before.

Susie hadn't either, but somehow it seemed so familiar to her...

"Welcome to the Dreaming, Susie!", Morpheus approached her, smiling.

He was still holding the leather pouch with the sand and on his left shoulder, a black-feathered raven was perched. The birds' dark eyes were focused on her, watching every step. It looked kinda creepy, that was for sure.

"Don't be afraid!", the Lord of Dreams continued his speech, feeding his animal companion with some leftover bread crumbs.

"The Dreaming is the place you humans go while you're asleep. I am the ruler of this kingdom, meaning that I must create dreams and nightmares for all of humanity which then will manifest in your mind. I also must control my creations, not letting them escape to the Waking World - another word for your realm. In the past, I had several - well - encounters with escaped beings, but this is over now. So, you still believe I am the Boogeyman?"

Susies cheeks flushed with red, fiddling with her fingers.

"I am sorry, Mister Sandman...", she stuttered, not believing that this was all real.

"Wait, there's even a song about you in my world. I can play it for you if you like - "

The Blonde reached out for her violin, but it wasn't there.

Instead, it was in Morpheus' hands, holding the instrument in his safe grasp like a loving mother would hold her newborn baby.

There it was again.

This growing desire in him, this unknown passion for playing music.

This oncoming need to learn, study and observe.

Just like the humans, those pity and pathetic creatures, Morpheus had a dream.

A dream he had never dreamt before.

And maybe, just maybe, a girl like Susie could help him reaching that dream.