Chapter 33. La costa del silencio.

Start from the beginning

She fell asleep pretty quickly. Just in case I checked her mana flow once more, but it didn't seem to have become irregular. I asked Rosanne to follow me out of the room, where almost everyone was impatiently and worryingly waiting, the only ones missing were Sophie, Eve, and Violett. They probably had heard our conversation, the door wasn't even fully closed. Still, I gave them a brief explanation to dispel any misunderstanding, and send them to rest. It was only Rosanne and I. She was trembling.

—Why... the curse shouldn't have appeared yet! Why now? Why HERE?!

—The only reason I can think of is that whoever is behind it, figured out that we were trying to stop them. Something we did alerted them... or someone might have leaked the information. So they decided to retaliate, a warning shot.

—They DARED to attack my family?! —she said. No, she growled it.

—Rosanne —I grabbed her by the shoulders, and she looked at me. Her eyes were full of fury and anger, she almost looked like a completely different person, but in mere seconds, her expression softened to her usual meek self.

—W-wha... What are we going to do? —she said, almost to the point of crying.

—We... We need to inform the royal family as soon as possible. We don't know if this is an isolated attack or if they already released the plague completely. We need to prepare for the worst —I told her, and started to write a letter with some paper that was close—. I'm sorry for asking this to you in this situation, but I need to stay with Carmila to keep monitoring her state. Take Adrian and Nora with you, and give this letter to the Royal family personally. Not to a guard, not to a minister, only directly to the Queen or the King. Can you do it?

—I... yes. I'll do it.

I felt horrible for dumping such responsibility on her, but my words weren't lies. Just because Carmila was stable at the moment didn't mean she would remain in that state, and if she had a bout without any treatment, that could be it for her.

I could already imagine her giving me a long sermon for making Rosanne go to the capital with such a small guard, but I would welcome it if it meant seeing her full of energy once again. And with Adrian and Nora at her side, as well with the cover of the night, she shouldn't have any troubles reaching the palace. The troublesome part would be the next step, to get in contact with the king or the queen, which was another reason why Rosanne was the best candidate to go.

Once Rosanne called for Nora, I accompanied both to the dock and explained the situation to Adrian. I skipped some details, but he nonetheless understood the gravity of the situation, and agreed to the mission. After seeing them off, I returned to the mansion hurriedly. I had left Sylphie with Carmila, if her state were to change, I would know thanks to her, but I couldn't get overconfident in this situation. However, I got distracted by movements in the kitchen, and found both Gabby and Eve preparing something.

—You are going to spend all night up, won't you, Doctor? —Gabby asked, without looking at me—, you'll surely need coffee and something to eat to stay awake.

—You can count on us —Eve added.

I thanked them and went back to Carmila's room. As I had predicted, she had a couple of small outbursts through the night. I'm not sure how they would have affected her if left untreated, but I couldn't risk her trying to figure it out.

Later on, I would hear what Rosanne did to get to the Royal family. It must have been around 3 am when she reached the capital, so it was pretty obvious the guards would reject her, and told her to come back later. Apparently she stared them down, to the point of having them break protocol. It would have been hilarious in any other circumstance. In any case, she managed to get the letter delivered directly to their Majesties.