Chapter 33. La costa del silencio.

Start from the beginning

But weirdly enough, precisely because I had been helping Rosanne to regularize her mana so many times, I knew exactly what I had to do. It took me several hours, but I managed to stabilize her mana, and her condition seemed to improve. Still, this treatment only diminished the effects of curse, it did not cure it. I took a moment to breathe, rubbed my eyes, and let a sigh out of my mouth. Then I focused my attention on my other patient.

—Rosanne.

—How... How could this be happening? —She had been holding Carmila's hand all this time, trying to help as much in any way she could.

I haven't even told her anything yet, but it was pretty clear she had figured it out from my actions.

—She is... stable, you don't have to worry for the moment —I said, not being completely honest.

—But she is still unconscious!

—Her body went through a lot. You should know how this works better than anyone else, you have slept for almost a week a few times —I said, trying to alleviate the tension. She didn't reply.

She seemed to instinctively know something I had only become aware of by reading Deucalion's manuscript. Not everyone affected by the curse ended up becoming deformed monsters, there were a few who just went unconscious and never woke up. And I could barely sense any brain activity coming from her.

—Carmila, please... wake up —she said, sobbing.

A lightning hit pretty close to the mansion, making a very loud noise. Both Rosanne and I were taken by surprise by that, and even more so right after that, when Carmila jolted awake, gasping for air.

—That's it, breathe slowly —I somehow manage to say in a calm voice.

She was confused, but still had all of her cognitive abilities intact. That was reassuring, at least she hadn't entered a more advanced stage of the curse. Still, her vision was blurry, she was weak and her body was stiff. I took a mental note of how similar those symptoms were to what Rosanne had experienced after Violett was almost kidnapped. I then proceeded to explain to both of them clearly what was happening.

—You were infected by a disease that we were... researching, known as Calliope's curse. This treatment should help your body fight it more efficiently, but currently... there is no cure.

Carmila pondered what I told her for a few seconds.

—We need to tell everyone who was at the party. The queen and everyone else might have been infected because of me —She said.

It was surprising that someone in her situation would even consider others. But then again, it might have been out of her character to do otherwise. I shook my head.

—We will tell them about it, but this disease isn't transmitted by conventional means. To be honest, we don't know how it is transmitted, but at least we know it isn't through air, water, or food, so you don't have to worry about that.

—I... understand. So this is what you have been working so hard for? —Carmila said, looking at Rosanne.

—Y-yes. I'm sorry we haven't been able to find the cure.

—Don't be. Remember I forced you to rest because you were burning yourself out. There is no way you could have... worked harder.

I noticed that Carmila was looking visibly exhausted.

—You need to rest, we'll take care of everything. And we WILL find a cure —I said, trying to sound convincing.

—I am sure if anyone can do it... It is you two...