Chapter 5

"We got one."

Hange heaved the writhing figure into the cell. Levi glanced up from his tea and watched as she wrangled him into the interrogation chair, securing the arm and leg restraints. She wiped her glistening forehead with the back of her hand.

"An ugly one by the looks of it. How'd you manage that?" Levi said, clinking his cup on the saucer.

"Why don't we let Floch here tell you."

Floch scowled at her.

"Don't wanna talk? Too embarrassed?" Hange nudged his shin with her foot. "C'mon, nothing, really?"

Floch sharpened his scowl.

"Fine." Hange leaned her hip against the cool cement wall. "Since the Yeagerists are a proud bunch, it didn't take much to pick the rats out. They didn't know anything about Eren's whereabouts, but they pointed me to the ringleader. So, after some colorful threats, I got one to deliver Floch here a summons at his little recruitment event. Want to tell him what happened next?"

Floch closed his eyes and took an audibly deep breath.

"Way to take all the fun out of it. Anyway, the summons was from 'Eren'"—Hange enclosed the name with air quotes—"but it was really an ambush from yours truly. Honestly, the hardest part was just lugging his ass down the stairs."

"Not bad, four eyes."

"You're too kind." Hange waved her wrist and made for the door. She paused with her hand on the knob. "We'll have to double up in the holding cells, by the way. The rats are taking up a lot of space. Oh, and I just mopped in here, so please refrain from killing him."

The door slammed, echoing in the space between Captain Levi and Floch.

Levi stayed in his seat, studying Floch over the brim of his cup. "So, you're Eren's lap dog."

Floch held his eyes, but said nothing.

"Just tell me where he is and I'll only rip a couple fingernails."

No response.

"You really want to do this the hard way?"

Levi clinked his cup on the saucer again, drawing Floch's eye to the pliers beside it. Floch's fists clenched. A drop of sweat rolled down his temple.

Levi's chair grated the floor. He crossed the cell one slow step at a time, all the while swinging the pliers. Floch's gaze flitted between Levi and the pliers, equally fearful of both.

"Guess it's the hard way. But I'd be lying if I said I preferred any other way." Levi dug the bumpy ridge of the plier under Floch's pinkie nail. "Last chance, brat."

Floch's face was boiling red, but he maintained his silence. Levi clamped the plier and yanked; an awful fleshy tear and Floch's piercing scream followed.

The small nail pittered to the floor. On Floch's finger was a bloody red patch. Levi dipped the ridge under the next nail.

"Where's Eren?" He tightened the pliers and made to pull, but Floch cried out.

"Wait! Please." His breathing was rapid.

Levi lowered the pliers. "One lousy nail is all it took? Pathetic."

"Why do you care where Eren is? He can't be stopped. It's pointless to go after him, alright?" Sweat dewed Floch's hairline.

"I don't care about his plans. Eren took something from me and I'd like it back."

"What? What did he take? I can help."

"Karma."

Floch's face drained of color. His cowardly eyes fell to the pliers. "No. I can't help with that. I swear I don't know where she is."