Chapter 13: Gretel

I held the sword tightly as I looked at him. "Rumpel..." I said, voice soft. I used my fire powers to melt the bars, and he stepped out, brushing off his clothes. He nodded to me, then scowled at the Hatter. To Ijan, he just looked confused.We ran down the hall, searching for my brother and his girlfriend. Once we found them, it didn't take us long to get them out. I hugged Hansel, glad that he was alright, then told him about my adventures in Karnia when I was little and of the Sword of Quae and even of Candor and Grandpa Henry's affair.Once I'd filled everyone in and we'd reached the place where we could teleport, I took us to the top of the castle once again. And that was when I heard it.

Rumpel had tried to kill Hansel.My brother.

And nobody. NO ONE. Messes with MY BROTHER except ME.

So after the words had left Kiki's mouth, I turned to Daft and he read my mind. The Dark One's Dagger appeared in his hand, and Rumpelstiltskin's name shown on the hilt. I grabbed it tightly, handing my sword to Hansel. I tapped on Rumpel's shoulder with the tip of the blade and once he'd turned, I twirled the blade around in my fingers."I heard you messed with my brother, Dark One," "I did nothing of the sort, dearie. And I wouldn't do that, if I were you," He smirked, eyes narrowing. I could tell that his view of me hadn't changed. Had he faked everything? I shook off this feeling; it wouldn't distract me now."Oh, wouldn't I?" I laughed. "No one," I said, pressing the tip of the blade into his neck and twisting. "And I mean NO ONE," blood began to drip. "messes with MY brother," his eyes went blank and cloudy. "except me." and he dropped to the ground.The Daft Hatter stood and came to me, putting his arm around me. I didn't cry, nor did I even frown. My face remained stoic as the name changed on the blade to... to nothing! The etching was gone!"What? Where's her name? She killed him, didn't she?" Ijan demanded to know, his eyes confused. Kiki picked him up and nodded. "The hilt is blank." She said, just as confused.Daft looked up. "She's too powerful to gain any more power. The same would have happened if Satan had tried to kill him; the blade would become just an artifact with great power." He looked at me, leaning down as he had done a while ago. I met his eyes and nodded. "I'm fine... I'm okay." I said, meaning every word. I wouldn't let this stupid bump in the road get in the way of us saving the world.

"That was awfully mad of you to do, Gretel," Ijan commented. "The best people are," The Daft Hatter smiled his wickedly huge smile as he grasped my hand.