Fallen Leaves

The commotion distracts her from going towards her table. Curious, she follows the crowd until she stops near where the crowds gather round.

"What is it?"

"Ssh!" One of them hushes her down and she quickly nods before mouthing 'what'.

"Our CEO is interviewing someone inside right now."

She tilts her head, not getting the words. "What is wrong with him interviewing someone?"

"Have you heard, Eun Ha? I thought you were close with him!"

"Him?"

"Research department is looking for a replacement for the manager position."

"Isn't it–"

"The rumor about the current Senior Research Manager is going to resign it's true I guess."

Her mind goes blank at the news. She is shocked.

"Hwang In Yeop is currently under his two months notice before leaving for good."

The news spread like a wildfire that day and the fact that he is already on his notice period, it only means that he already gave his resignation letter before anyone knows. None of the employees knows how long he is going to be there. The HR department closes their mouth shut being the only department that knows about the credential information. His office looks empty, wondering if he already take his day off or just busy handing over his job to his successor.

She doesn't see him everywhere either and of course, she doesn't have the reason to contact him outside working matters. But curiosity kills her. She has his number but is really afraid to push the dial button. No matter how many times she pushes herself to be courageous just to push it, her fingers just stopped herself from going further.

It goes on and on for two weeks. Some say that In Yeop is seen at the office but not for a long time before he leaves again. Eun Ha doesn't even get a chance to run to see with her own eyes whether it is true or not. They say that he always look in a hurry and his phone never leaves his ears as he keeps continuously talking over it.

In the end, Eun Ha can't hold her own curiosity any longer. It's Friday night when everyone on her team decides to go to relief their stress at the nearest barbeque house when Eun Ha steps out of it to make a phone call.

The monotone sound is the only thing that she could focus on until it goes off as he picks up the call.

None of them are talking. She can feel her heartbeat drum on her chest as she listens to the stillness on the other side.

"Can I take your time tomorrow?"

In Yeop is the one who breaks the silence by asking something unexpected.

"It's Saturday. I hope you have free time. I'm not going to take your time for long I promise."

Eun Ha unconsciously nods. Realizing that he can't see her, she gulps down before speaking.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

She can hear him sigh, not really knowing what it means.

"I'll text you where we'll meet."

That night is one of those nights that she can't close her eyes no matter how hard she tries. She tosses her body back and forth, looking for a comfortable position as she tries to close her eyes. But her mind is hazy. It seems like her brain chooses to not shut down any moment.

'What should I say to him? What should I ask him first? Why does he decide to resign all of sudden? Why am I being like this? Will I ever see him again after this? Why does it sound like the final goodbye? I don't like this. I don't like this at all!'