I gaze at the bean-shaped swimming pool just outside the veranda. The sunlight makes the water sparkle and a soft breeze creates ripples on the surface. When we were kids, my cousins from Manila would come to Angeles City every summer and spend time at our family resort, which is just outside the Clark Freeport Zone. We grew up swimming together, running around the old playground, and biking to nearby towns to eat street food and halo-halo. But when summer ended, they would all go back to the capital city and leave me here alone. I longed to visit them in Manila for a change but my mom never allowed me to stay longer than a day or two. We always had to go back and take care of the resort.

A lot of people think the resort was named after me, but it was actually named after my grandmother. My mom's parents, Lolo Tinio and Lola Clara, built this place, so it's been around much longer than I have. Clara's Paradise Resort may be old, but our guests keep coming back because it makes them feel right at home. Our restaurant is also well-known for serving really good Kapampangan food.

My parents and I stay in a small house inside the compound-and this is where I've lived all 18 years of my life. But in a few days, it will finally be my turn to leave Pampanga. I studied my butt off all throughout high school to graduate with honors and get into my dream school. It was tough, but I knew it would be worth it. When I received the letter saying I had gotten a scholarship to St. Joseph and Mary's University-one of the top schools in Manila-I screamed with happiness, while my mom burst into tears. If it weren't for the scholarship, I don't think my parents would have allowed me to move away. They know I'm itching to get out of here.

"Hi there! We'd like to check in, please." A man with fair skin and freckles on his face looms over me. He leans on the counter and hands me his credit card. "The reservation is under King."

"Ah yes, of course, sir." I look up his name on the computer and proceed to print out some registration forms. Based on his accent, I can tell right away that he's American.

I've always enjoyed observing the resort's guests and trying to guess their nationality. We get a lot of Korean and Japanese guests, so I can tell where they're from as soon as I hear them speak. I try to learn a few words from each language so I can be more welcoming while they're here. The American accent is recognizable too, but I always have a hard time with the Europeans since only a few of them come to stay here. As for the locals, I have a knack for recognizing different languages, whether it's Tagalog, Bisaya, or Ilocano.

Mr. King signs the forms with a flourish and hands them back to me. "Here you go, Miss."

Once his account is settled, I return his credit card along with the room keys. "You're in the family suite, Room 12. I'll have someone lead you to your room and help you with your luggage," I tell him, while waving at Kuya Lito, our bellhop and all-around helper.

"Thank you." Mr. King flashes me a bright smile before turning back to his family-a lovely Filipino wife, the two cutest little girls, and OH. MY. GOD.

Is that Mickey King?

"Kuya, can we go swimming now? Please! Please!" The girls chant in chorus as they tug on their older brother's basketball shorts.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever," Mickey grumbles. He barely glances at his sisters. He's holding his phone with both hands, his fingers tapping furiously and his brow creased in concentration.

"We'll swim later, girls. Come on, let's go to the room first." Their mom herds them away to follow their dad and Kuya Lito, who is already leading them down the hall to the next building where the guest rooms are.

Instead of following them, Mickey starts walking toward me.

Crap, did he catch me staring at him? I look away and pretend to be busy with something on the computer.