14~Summer

"Harry!" Hermione said as Her, Ron, and Y/N, walked in to the Hospital Wing.

"Oh, Harry, we were sure you were going to – Dumbledore was so worried –"

"The whole school's talking about it," said Ron. "What really happened?"

It was one of those rare occasions when the true story is even more strange and exciting than the wild rumors. Harry told them everything: Quirrell; the Mirror; the Stone and Voldemort. Ron and Hermione were a very good audience; they gasped in all the right places and, when Harry told them what was under Quirrell's turban, Hermione screamed out loud. Y/N however looked very sheepish.

"So the Stone's gone?" said Ron finally. "Flamel's just going to die?"

"That's what I said, but Dumbledore thinks that – what was it? – 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure'."

"I always said he was off his rocker," said Ron, looking quite impressed at how mad his hero was.

"So what happened to you three?" said Harry.

"Well, we got Ron back alright," said Hermione. "Y/N and I brought Ron round - that took awhile -and we were dashing up to the owlery to contact Dumbledore when we met him in the entrance hall. He already knew - he just said 'Harry's gone after him, hasn't he?' and hurtled off towards the third floor."

"Never would I have thought that a bloke that old could even break into a light jog."

"D'you think he meant you to do it?" said Ron. "Sending you your father's Cloak and everything?"

"Well," Hermione exploded, "if he did – I mean to say – that's terrible – you could have been killed."

"No, it isn't," said Harry thoughtfully. "He's a funny man, Dumbledore. I think he sort of wanted to give me a chance. I think he knows more or less everything that goes on here, you know. I reckon he had a pretty good idea we were going to try, and instead of stopping us, he just taught us enough to help. I don't think it was an accident he let me find out how the Mirror worked. It's almost like he thought I had the right to face Voldemort if I could ..."

"Yeah, Dumbledore's barking, all right," said Ron proudly. 

"Will you be there for the feast, Harry?" Y/N asked. "If not I might stay up here with you, dunno if I can stomach seeing any other house right now, especially after the absolute stomping Ravenclaw gave us in Quidditch and Slytherin winning the cup. Remember Alicia Spinnet, the girl that Fred and George told us quit last year?"

"Yeah, she helps with practices from time to time." Harry said.

"Yeah well, she was our reserve Seeker, blimey that game was rough, she tried her heart out though. Got nothing but respect for her, I couldn't do what she did, playing Seeker with no practice."

"Slytherin won the cup?" Harry asked, rather upset.

At that moment, Madam Pomfrey bustled over.

"You've had nearly fifteen minutes, now OUT," she said firmly.

~~~

Y/N, Hermione, and Ron were seated in the Great hall hen Harry walked in. There was a sudden hush and then everybody started talking loudly at once. Harry slipped into a seat between Ron and Y/N at the Gryffindor table and tried to ignore the fact thatpeople were standing up to look at him.

Fortunately, Dumbledore arrived moments later. The babble died away.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were ... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts ..."